The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 08:44 PM

rccola712 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Your proudest fly tying moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimmy7 View Post
As a teen, my best friend and I used to fish a special river every summer- my family for go on vacation for 2 weeks, then his and we'd have a couple of days overlap... and he and I would get 4 solid weeks on the water.

We started a personal "One Fly" competition and would flip a coin to determine who went upstream and who went downstream, and we'd fish until we lost the fly or for a set period of time, then compare our catches (C&R after 10 trout, honor system).

The second year into this, we decided to create our own pattern, and fish only that fly. That year, my fly out caught his in number and size and all of my fish were natives, namely German Browns. The next day, we mixed it up- he gave me his fly, I gave him mine... and the results were the same.

So yeah, for me? It was the time a fly I created caught the most fish in a "One Fly" two consecutive days in use by two different fishermen.

Quite impressive! I would certainly be proud of that accomplishment! And it sounds like y'all had quite the fun competition!

I would say my proudest accomplishment would be either the first fly I tied that caught a fish (happened to be about 17" rainbow) I caught it on the first wolly bugger I tied. I started simple!

Click the image to open in full size.

Either that fish or this wild brookie I caught on a fly I created - basically a white rabbit fur nymph with a pheasant tail tail & wing case.

Those were both early in my fishing days, I now know how bad taking those pics was for the fish, even though they swam off fine, I could've not been so lucky.

"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it."
~ Arnold Gingrich
Old 05-04-2013, 09:07 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Stories.

With a five year old sitting in my lap. And not even my child.

As usual, at days short of 71 you have lots of them. New position in Santa Rosa, CA and only 'housing' I had was a 17' 5th wheel behind a yellow Datsun PU. Lived in a 'RV' park and met a nice young lady doing our laundry. The most magnificent legs I've ever seen in my life.

To get perspective, she was married, three kids and I was old enough to be her Father twice over. I was 'forward' and asked about her thigh structure as the only time I'd ever seen anything like that was a Gymnast. She was, the first US alternate to the Olympic Summer Games.

End game is her husband (one heck of a nice guy) was a commercial fisherman working out of Bodaga Bay. I was an excellent pastry (context: position was in mortgage banking) 'chief' as that's how I let off steam.

He caught, I got fresh fish, and the kids poured over the cook books and they got 'world class' deserts. One evening the kids came over and I was tying up some flies ... and the rest is history.

Had to buy a second vise (or should that be 'vice?') so more than one could work at the same time. Their Mom (sometimes Dad) would lean up against the sink with a cup of tea and just watch.

'NOOOOOOO!! THAT FEATHER!!'

'NOOOOOOO! THAT FEATHER!!!!!!!'

'Which feather Mr. Evans?'

In all honesty, it didn't make a damned bit of difference.
bigjim5589 and mcnerney like this.

Last edited by fredaevans; 05-04-2013 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Gross spelling error..God I hate that.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:56 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

My proudest moment was the first time I caught a fish on a fly I tied. It was a purple Woolly Bugger with a red tail and white hackle. Uglier than sin, but caught a fish. I still have the fly somewhere around here and a picture of the fish somewhere too.

Randy
Old 05-08-2013, 10:19 PM

bigfishcatcher is on a distinguished road

when i tied a fly that looked like a hairball, but it actually caught fish.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:11 AM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

When I finally trimmed a spun deer hair bug and it actually looked like something! Before that it was all bad hair cuts!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-09-2013, 06:14 AM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Pretty simple one like a lot of others. First fish on a fly I tied, a little red buzzer, smiles were abundant that day
Old 05-09-2013, 07:46 AM

fishngolf16 is on a distinguished road

Yes, I too have the same first fish I caught on my Top Secret Midge story, and don't get me wrong that was a great day. Hooked me for life, Ha Ha.

However...

Best tying moment was the first time the kids joined me while tying. One tied what they thought would be a good meal, not a pattern any of us know. It was a piece of salad, tied on a streamer hook with a bunch of dubbing in green and a couple of green pheasant tails sticking out all over. That was some kind of salad. The other was a red and orange thread body with brown hackle (didn't look too bad) and a piece of feather that made it look like a sail boat. Yes, I still have the flies and should post them for fun. They try patterns once in awhile now but still have more fun creating stuff from their imaginations.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:10 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Ummm...when I gave Craig Matthews one of my patterns to try out and he reported back to me , two weeks later, that he caught a fish on it...

PT/TB
mcnerney likes this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 05-09-2013, 11:42 AM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

like already stated by others...the first time I caught a trout with a fly I tied was pretty special...

and more recently realizing I could use materials strictly from harvests or the ranch and have a winner...and not need the little baggies all the time...

mcnerney and sumojo like this.

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/
Old 05-09-2013, 03:18 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
We all talk or like to mention the fish we catch, the reels and rods we use, the flies we tie and the multitude of other fishing related lies we like to tell each
other. But rarely do we hear much of the moments that make you clench the fist and say ''YES'' under your breath, while your seated quietly at your bench sipping a beer and generally keeping out of trouble or housework!

I guess for newer tiers it mastering a technique, finally getting the head on the fly right or getting 20 flies knocked out in one go without interruption.

I'd like to hear how everyone fairs with the little 'Yes' moment, if you'd all like to share. Photos optional. Even the 'experienced tyers among us (I like to think i'm experienced, since i started about 20 years ago, but to a 'career break' for 12 years) have the yes moment and tonight it happened for me.

So i guess I'll start!

For the last 6 weeks or so i've been tying classic wet flies, pretty religiously every night. Many of you have seen the flies i've tied as i've posted them in other threads, but tonight I guess it all came together (except on little mishap i noticed on another part of the fly)

The victory ????

A Horizontal Wing

Don Bastian's Original Olive Trout Fin

If you noticed (or not) all the other wet flies i've tied have had up-pointing wings!
I love the horizontal lie.
Thats me.

Who's next?
Good job, Eunan. It's not easy to hump a married wet fly wing to get the horizontal top edge.

Separately, I've always figured that when stripped through the water, a lot of up-tailing wet fly wings become somewhat more flat.

I guess it would take some pretty slick underwater photography to see if that's true or not. I almost constructed a water flow chamber with a photo window a couple of years ago to test that and other in-the-water fly configurations. Never got around to it.

That fly looks nice!

Pocono
kelkay likes this.