The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 05:07 PM

rockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Your proudest fly tying moment

I sent some hooks and tying goodies to a little girl whose daddy could not afford them after buying a vise for her. She sent me some of her flies and a couple photos of her tying. Let me tell you that really made my day.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:55 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Threads never die...I started this one over a year ago.

Since that first post, i'd have to say my proudest fly tying moment has been kinda sorta mastering classic flies, winged wets, streamers and salmon flies.

Still learning, still things to work on - i'm never satisfied with the flies i tie, all in the name of progress i guess.

Click the image to open in full size.

kelkay and gt05254 like this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 05-11-2013, 01:02 PM

attila will become famous soon enough

When I or someone else catches a selective fish on a fly that I tied.
Hardyreels and willki like this.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:16 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I can't say I have a single moment, but likely several. When I was tying commercially I had a good following from a few regular customers. One fellow informed me he had caught well over 100 bass on a single slider I had tied for him & it still looked to be in good shape. He told me my flies were the best flies he had ever used. Comments like that always made me feel like I was doing things right. In the 15 years I sold flies, I often attended small shows & was proud to have my flies looked over & commented on by the likes of Lefty, Bob Clouser, Gary Borger, and Ted Godfrey and several other well known fly anglers. But the one that stuck in my memory the most was the late Ernest Schwiebert, who I have always admired as both a writer & fly angler. He looked threw several display boxes of flies & simply said, "those are wonderful"!
Hardyreels and kelkay like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-11-2013, 06:45 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Eunan,

Those are amazing. Your attention to detail and excellence is really inspiring. Thanks for posting the pictures!
s fontinalis likes this.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:32 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
Threads never die...I started this one over a year ago.

Since that first post, i'd have to say my proudest fly tying moment has been kinda sorta mastering classic flies, winged wets, streamers and salmon flies.

Still learning, still things to work on - i'm never satisfied with the flies i tie, all in the name of progress i guess.

You're beyond my 'Pay Grade.'

fae
kelkay and s fontinalis like this.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:55 AM

Walter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really nice

Mine was when I concluded that I have more faith and confidence in my own ties than any other commercially available flies. When I first started tying it was simply to take it to a new level and challege but I also kept "professional" back up flies for comfort. Now I wouldn't fish anything i didn't tie and feel I have an advantage in fishing my own creations. To those than don't tie.....its a great way to find flyfishing enjoyment even when you can't be on a stream.
kelkay likes this.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:04 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

proudest fly tying moment.... Does taking my "VW SPECIAL TOOL # 666-1KG" of my tying bench and putting it back in the garage count?

VW SPECIAL TOOL # 666-1KG
Old 05-12-2013, 06:27 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Last year I sent some Flies to Larry to give to CFR which I had Tied for Fly Swaps I never used & had laying around.
Since then I've received quite a few Cards A Broach & A Sticker Thanking me for sending Flies From Australia.
I really felt good to think that I had helped these women who had survived these Traumas.
Brian.
kelkay and williamhj like this.