The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2007, 07:12 AM

CrystalNZ is on a distinguished road
Default Beginner needs guidance

I just got all the tools and very keen to start, only real question I have is this.
I am a taxidermist by trade, meaning I have a abundant supply of hair and feathers at my fingertips. So question being, should I as a beginner start of deer, bird hair practicing or should I stick to something easy?

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v234/CrystalNZ/

myspace.com/crystalstaxidermy
Old 08-21-2007, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Beginner needs guidance

Well there's lots of flies that involve feathers that are reasonably easy, (especially with a good hackle plier) but most flies that involve deer hair fall more in the intermediate to advanced categories.

If you've got pheasant tail feathers around, a pheasant tail nymph is pretty straightforward. You'll just need to acquire some peacock herl, thread, and fine copper wire to complete the recipe. Tying very small pt's is very tough, so I'd recommend you start with a size 10 or so and work your way down to smaller sizes, teaching yourself how to keep proportions accurate as you move along. Here's the steps All Time Favorites - Hare’s Ear and Pheasant Tail Beginning Fly Tying, Part 11 - FAOL

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Crystal,

Welcome to the wonderful world of fly tying. You live in a great place for big trout and you are a taxidermist, I am jealous. Cliff has given you some very good advise and a great link. Have fun an let us know when you catch your first fish on your own fly. That is always an exciting time. You should consider getting a couple of fly tying books.

Cliff, that link should be a "sticky" someplace. That is exactly what a beginner needs. Does this board allow "Stickies"?
Old 08-21-2007, 10:58 PM

Thanks, I will follow your advise

Old 08-22-2007, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Frank, to be honest I'm not sure about whether we can tag threads as "sticky" or not on this platform. For the time being, I'll say that we should probably have an informal policy of only allowing original content (created here) as sticky. I've upset the managers of that other site in the past with something I didn't foresee as being remotely upsetting, and I'd rather not run the risk of doing so again. Especially when they might feel the need to jump on here and soil the reputation of our fine folx.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Thanks Cliff,

I understand where you are coming from. I am staff (moderator) on a board and you do have to be careful to keep every body happy. Good point that this is not original stuff. I really enjoy this board as there is no one trying to flame somebody who doesn't agree with them. I have only seen that once here and we lost a member.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:47 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Hey Crystal..... try this.

Since you have an abundance of hair available try learning how to "spin" hair. Specifically look online for recipes on how to tye a deer hair mouse. You live in the land of huge brown trout...and they love deer hair mice!!!!!!

I have found it critical that I specialize in certain patterns or styles of tying. You need not be a master of all. But find those tyes that suit your rivers and streams. This success will spawn in you the desire to tye more and better.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 10-12-2007, 05:08 AM

I will certainly look for that, Big Thank You aroostookbasser's !