The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 10:19 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Styrofoam Cup Fly Photography

Here's portable "quick and dirty" photography method I learned from Bruce Norikane. I got his permission to publish it in our TU newsletter.

http://www.wrvtu.org/newsletter/PDF/newsletter3-4.pdf

Cut a hole in the side of a styrofoam cup for an electrical clip or a clip hackle plier as a fly holder.

Cut a hole in the base of the cup to fit around the lens (cup on the left) or just cut out the enter base of the cup (cup on the left). Put the cup and camera on a table and shine a frosted fluorescent light on the cup.

The styrofoam cup acts as a light tent to diffuse the light for even illumination. I cut a few more holes to let in more light which bounces off of the curved opposite inside surface for more illumination.

Click the image to open in full size.

The photo below is taken using the macro zoom mode of my Panasonic Lumix waterproof camera. It has a Leica lens and can take amazing photos for a pocket camera. I can take or even make a cup quickly to take photos of flies at fly fishing events. I use the tiers own lamp and they are generally amazed at the photo quality.

mojo, Pocono, kelkay and 6 others like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 02-17-2012, 10:28 AM

bluedaksi will become famous soon enoughbluedaksi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Styrofoam Cup Fly Photography

That's pretty slick! I will definitely put that to the test in the future.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:30 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Silver: Cool technique to setup a quick light box to photograph flies from!

Old 02-17-2012, 11:56 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Can't wait to try it! Thank you for sharing!!!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 02-17-2012, 03:08 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Nice photo effect!

Pocono
Old 02-17-2012, 03:16 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

i've read about this technique on a couple blogs and forums. Anther way to increase light inside the cup is to put a small mirror in it. This will help illuminate the fly from below as well and give better definition of bottom details. A mirror from a makeup compact works great. I know we all have at least one of those lying in our tackle bags so get can get all pretty for the fish when we're at the river!!
itchmesir likes this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 02-17-2012, 11:13 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

The only problem is that the white is not white. There are some very complicated and good ways to fix this using expensive software, but if you just download the best free image program on the internet, Irfanview (when installing pay attention so you don't install the optional program), then use the "auto adjust colors" function and you get this.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:57 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately it doesn't work on a Mac.

I wish I had an easy way to do it. The photo sure looks better, but now you can see my tying mistakes.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 02-18-2012, 12:25 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
Unfortunately it doesn't work on a Mac.

I wish I had an easy way to do it. The photo sure looks better, but now you can see my tying mistakes.

We make choices, we live with the consequences.

You chose to use software with limited options... I'm sorry.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:58 AM

Now I have white correction with the free Mac Preview program.

pszy22 likes this.

Silver