The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 01:37 PM

riverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really nice
Default Articulated Fly Question

I've tied a few on long shank hooks so I have plenty of wraps to hold the mono well.
I tied this the other day-
Click the image to open in full size.

Being a shorter shanked hook (I suppose thats the right terminology) it dosn't have as many wraps. I've pulled on it good and seems to be holding well, but these will be for 5#-8# bass and I don't want the back coming loose.

What do you think? Can I super glue it or Sally's, or should I not use this type of hook?
They are getting test this weekend on a 18 mile camp trip, see what happens.

Thanks,
David
Old 02-24-2012, 01:45 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Articulated Fly Question

when i tied articulated, i use fireline, spiderbraid or similar to attach the hooks together rather than mono. you can also use articulated shanks if your using a trail hook with a big enough eye, then you dont need to worry about tying stuff down.

After tying in the fireline or whatever you used, coat it in superglue and let it full dry. You will not loose the hook.

Addicted To Vise
Old 02-24-2012, 02:19 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

In addition to what Eunan has said, you can run whatever attaching material up the front hook shank, tie it in, then double it back down the shank and tie it in again, then glue it all. Your line should break before you lose the trailer.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-27-2012, 05:00 PM

riverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really nice

Thanks Guys.
I like the idea of using braid. Matter of fact, in my pre-fly days (about a year ago) I used mostly braid so I have plenty laying around.

The bass seemed to like the articulated. Here's the Clouser I posted above.

Another, it's a Circus Peanut variant. Variant in that I didn't have all the correct materials.

I'm going to like these articulated flys.
Thanks again.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:52 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

The fish obviously like your articulated streamers, congrats!

Old 02-28-2012, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
In addition to what Eunan has said, you can run whatever attaching material up the front hook shank, tie it in, then double it back down the shank and tie it in again, then glue it all. Your line should break before you lose the trailer.
I use the doubled back and tied down braid idea myself, and I don't bother using cement or superglue after wrapping the double-back.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:27 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I also use the doubled & tied back method with braid, and agree with BigCliff, the glue really isn't necessary if you use a strong enough thread & enough wraps. I've tied some without glue that got almost totally destroyed, but the braid held up just fine!

I do however glue them most of the time.

I used to tie some big articulated Shark/Barracuda flies when I tied commercially and would epoxy coat the threads, but just to help protect them from their teeth. These were tied with stranded wire to connect the two hooks. The first ones I tried didn't have the epoxy, and although the flies got ripped up, the wire still held. It was a guides suggestion that I add the epoxy.

On those flies the wire was doubled back, tied down then forward again & tied. It's sometimes surprising how much strength some tying threads have. I used Danville Flat waxed Nylon to tie them. Those flies had a 7/0 front hook & a 5/0 trailer.

riverbilly, apparently you did tie that Circus Peanut with the correct materials!

Nice bass!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!