The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 11:58 AM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Micro Fibbet Substitute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire instructor View Post
Tail fibers on a couple of patterns.
Exactly. I want to tie up some Comparaduns and the recipes that I have seen call for Micro Fibbets for the tails.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:16 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

Exellent material for tail splitting. I wouldn't substitute.

Classic Salmon and Trout Flies of Europe and the Americas
Old 08-14-2013, 08:19 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

So I guess microfibbets float. Can they be used when tying nymphs?

Thanks,

Randy
Old 08-14-2013, 09:54 AM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
So I guess microfibbets float. Can they be used when tying nymphs?

Thanks,

Randy

Here is a picture of a bowl of water. That is a tuft of dubbing floating on the surface and to the right of the dubbing you have two micro fibbets underwater. The fibbets, according to the packaging were treated with watershed. Most of these fibbets are made of nylon and nylon is heavier than water.

As far as a substitute for micro fibbets ? Micro fibbets is a substitute for the hard to find spade hackle.

You can tie nymphs or dry flies with micro fibbets. Fear not!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:08 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Calftail,

Thanks. If microfibbets don't float so well then why use them on dry flies? I'm a bit confused.

Randy
Old 08-14-2013, 10:54 AM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Calftail,

Thanks. If microfibbets don't float so well then why use them on dry flies? I'm a bit confused.

Randy
I get confused to! Your not alone.

The micro fibbets are good enough as long as they don't break the surface.

Science is above my pay grade, but some elemental physics will help you understand a lot that goes on in this sport.

To start try looking at the properties of water, specifically "surface tension". You will read and hear fly fishers refer to the meniscus, it's the surface of the water.........
. See the floating paper clip.

After you understand surface tension you might look at hydraulic friction as it relates to the flow of water at the top, sides and bottom of the stream.

Temperature is a good one to know and so is refraction of light through water.

Try Buoyancy to...

Last edited by calftail; 08-14-2013 at 11:00 AM. Reason: add buoyancy
Old 08-14-2013, 12:46 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Can they be used when tying nymphs?

Thanks,

Randy
of course they can be used for nymphs but since they are MAINLY used for dry flies why would you when theres better materials for nymph tails

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 08-14-2013, 03:08 PM
Business Member

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Although nylon is a bit denser than water, it floats and even larger pieces that are larger than micro-fibbets are commonly used in dry fly fishing. Hint - what are monofilament leaders made of?

+1 on Calftail's answer of surface tension

You can even float a needle on water because of surface tension. Look at the video below which shows the effect of surface tension. I chose it because it also shows the effect of surfactants = SURFACe ACTive ageNTS. The soap is a surfactant which destroys the surface tension and allows the needle to sink.

The reason that surface tension exists is that water H2O is a polar molecule with a positive pole of the hydrogen atoms and the negative pole of oxygen. Water molecules are miniature bar magnets that link up and it is these weak molecular links that form surface tension.

Surface tension is also why water beads up on a surface.

As an aside it is this same polar quality of water that creates MRI images based on flipping these molecules in a strong magnetic field. That is why MRI machines use superconducting magnets. It is to force the alignment of all the water molecules in our bodies.

We use the polar quality of water to our advantage when we put on floatant. A floatant is a non polar molecule that repels water.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-14-2013, 03:31 PM

Folks,

Very interesting. Why didn't I think of all that myself, but at least now I get it, and now I'll feel better about using microfibbets on dry flies.

Randy
Old 08-14-2013, 07:44 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

You have a cat?