The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 06:44 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Micro Fibbet Substitute

Deer and elk hair can work, too. Also, stripped quills.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 08-21-2013, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Fibers from a natural bristle paint brush
Or a synthetic brush made for latex paints, the cheep ones come in different colors. The Chinese Boar bristle brushes are spendy unless you take the throw away type.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-24-2013, 01:03 PM

Walter1023 will become famous soon enough

I second a paint brush with nice bristles. That being said - for actual ease and effectiveness.....I'm know mainly tye my parachute dries by adding a few strands of grey antron for the tail. I think it represents a effective tail and trout don't seem to be offended.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:09 PM

crazy4oldcars is on a distinguished road

Fly Tyers Dungeon

Each pack has a couple thousand in it.

Kirk

Last edited by crazy4oldcars; 09-19-2013 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Weird looking link
Old 09-19-2013, 04:10 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
Calftail,

Thanks. If microfibbets don't float so well then why use them on dry flies? I'm a bit confused.

Randy
Simple answer: because you usually don't count on the tails to provide buoyancy on dry flies. Dry flies are usually buoyant due to the combined properties of one or more materials. Hackle, CDC, foam, and even dubbing all add to a fly's buoyant properties. Add to that fly floatant and the tails on a dry fly are pretty far down on the list as far as assisting in floatation. Don't get me wrong, they can be important, just not most important.

Traditional winged and hackled dry flies relied on a combination of the tails and the hackles to support the fly on the water's surface due mostly to surface tension of the water and the very light weight of the fly.

I like Microfibbets because of their small size and close replication of the natural tails on adult mayflies. They are easy to work with in a variety of applications and the end result is a pleasing blend of man-made materials that closely mimics nature.

I've also used them as tails for nymphs, but there are better materials suited for that purpose.

Here is a fly where the combination of dubbing, hackle and tail all support the fly on the surface:
Click the image to open in full size.

Here is a very small BWO dry that utilizes hackle fibers for the tail and very small hackle to support this small (size 20) dry fly:

Here I used hackle fibers for the tail of this parachute pattern, the parachute-wound hackle being the main support for floatation of this fly:

Microfibbets will closely mimic the tails of these mayflies:

I'm okay with those who advocate using paintbrush fibers, but a pack of Microfibbets has hundreds of evenly matched and sized fibers in a large variety of colors and so much more easy to use than having a paint brush taking up space on your tying desk. On top of that the Microfibbet packs are very inexpensive.

Kelly.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:09 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Went shopping at my local Hobby Lobby and picked up a 2.5 in. x 10 yd. roll of organza for a buck. I played with it for awhile and saw some potential tail material when I stripped some of the fibers from the side.

Have a look....