The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2005, 04:28 PM
Chris Hewett will become famous soon enoughChris Hewett will become famous soon enough
Default ear plugs

Anyone ever use foam ear plugs for a popper body? Some of these ear plugs are perfectly shaped to scoop water and taper well toward the bend but I can't tell what would happen when they were in water for a long time.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: ear plugs

hell of an idea! I can think of lots of reasons why it might not work, but I'd rather you prove me wrong. Just try to stick with the ones that look sealed on the outside.

The squishy texture might make bass hold on longer too!

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:24 AM

Gordon Bryson will become famous soon enoughGordon Bryson will become famous soon enough

Would guess that all of them are probably some type closed cell foam, otherwise the sound might go right on through the air passages. However, that might also be some of the design by using the passages as baffles. I just don't know much about them. If they've been used before, the ear wax might be a problem.LOL
I have a pair in my desk (don't know where they came from) but they're tapered and have a molded tube coming out that the string is attached to. I've seen a lot of them that look like nothing more than foam cylinders punched from a sheet of foam.
Let us know if they turn out good for you.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:27 PM
Chris Hewett will become famous soon enoughChris Hewett will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Bryson
If they've been used before, the ear wax might be a problem.LOL
The ear wax is what keeps them water proof.....
The ones I have are shaped rougly like tall skinny bells.
If I get something tied up soon, I will take a picture and post it for laughs.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
The ear wax is what keeps them water proof.....
So THATS how they make Mucilin! I always thought there was something to the fact that the name starts out the same as "mucus".

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.