The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 04:12 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Rabbit Foot Hair sub?

Anything else that works like rabbits foot hair.. for things like emerger wings?

I'm looking at April/May 2012 Fly Fisherman, the Cannon's Suspender Midge on page 29

Thanks.. Dave
Old 03-08-2012, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rabbit Foot Hair sub?

Just had a look at the pattern you're talking about...I think cdc would do the job
Old 03-08-2012, 07:40 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Dave. I Find any of the Fine Furs,such as,Deer Hair,Racoon,Squirrel or Calf Tail or ever Synthetics work fine,I like Possum,Kangaroo & Wallaby Fur which is plentiful over here.
Brian
Old 03-08-2012, 07:47 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I also would use CDC. Cool stuff CDC but draw back, have to use special floatant on it, like Frogs Fanny.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:52 PM
Business Member

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

CDC also came to my mind, and I agree it is the best substitute; but snowshoe rabbit is better. Another substitute would be Antron or Zelon, but I still think snowshoe is better than either.

I'm pretty sure the original tier thought of CDC and antron/zelon but chose snowshoe rabbit because it is superior for that fly.

Snowshoe is more durable than CDC. It takes floatant without clumping and it is impermeable so it sheds water. CDC gets waterlogged and slimed after a fish takes it. The same microfibers that trap air in CDC also trap water once it gets wet. So there is more prepping of the fly between fish. Snowshoe hair tapers and Zelon/Antron does not.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 03-09-2012, 11:55 AM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

I think the pattern calls for Snowshoe Rabbit Foot, which makes sense if it's a 'suspender' pattern seeing as that material has hydrophobic properties.

I agree with the comments about CDC being a possible substitute, and would suggest the "oiler puff feathers" rather than fibers off of the larger feathers. These can be tied in as a clump and would approximate the look of the rabbit foot hair.

Although Antron or Zelon might look similar, I don't think it will float the same.

As for treatment of CDC, you need to wash any 'slime' off of it because it clogs the fine fibers, then dry it well and it typically springs back pretty well. I generally wipe the rinsed fly against my shirt or a sheepskin patch, then a couple of quick false casts and it snaps back.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:32 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

POLY yarn as in polypropelene, naturally water proof and will flare out like rabbit..can be had in different colors, also A.B.Caddis used in gary La Fontaine patterns works wonders sheds water as well has the original Antron in it.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 03-12-2012, 07:20 AM

fraserdave is on a distinguished road

For a synthetic fiber replacement, I have had great success with Widow's Web fibers from Montana Fly Co. I had previously used EP fibers, But I have found the WW fibers to be a good bit stiffer, float well and really take floatant well. The ability to take floatant is the main reason I choose this material over CDC.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:16 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for all the replies.. I've used and like CDC.. this fly seem to have a sturdier appearance that I liked.

The Poly yarn was a nice suggestion, but to get the blengin, I didn't want to go through all that.. so I just bought a rabbits foot..

Other subs?

I've been looking at some old school flies..

Until I track it down.. I need a source for some 'brown' black bear hair