The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2007, 04:22 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default interested in fly tying

after watching a few videos online and looking for some affordable kits. I think I might give fly tying a try. I am still undecided on a kit. I am kinda looking for something cheaper just incase i don't like it. I doubt that I will hate it but you never know. are there any kits you guys recommend for say under 70 bux or so? also are there any websites that you guys know of that are made fore beginner fly tyers or a place that shows lots of patterns and how to tie um?

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:41 PM

jdgrubbjr is on a distinguished road
Default Re: interested in fly tying

GeorgeMcFly,

I would caution you against buying a "cheap tying kit" mainly due to the fact that several of them have vises that don't, and won't, hold a hook securely in the vise jaws. And trust me, nothing is more discouraging than trying to tie on a hook that won't stay in place. Griffin makes what they call a Model 1A Fly Tying Kit that comes with a 1A Vise, Bobbin, Hair Stacker and Hackle Pliers for around $60.00. Although the vise is considered an entry level vise, it is a good quality vise and most importantly, will hold your hook in place without slipping. The 1A Vise can be purchased by itself for around $45.00. Another important item is a good sharp pair of scissors that are made for fly-tying. Dr. Slick manufactures some decent scissors. Their are probably some other good quality tools in your price range out there besides the ones above, and I'll let someone else "chime in" on those.

Also, pick out a few simple patterns (Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear Nymph comes to mind) that you think you want to tie, buy those materials only, and then see how you get along with those patterns. While their are a lot of great books and videos on fly-tying, it would be a great benefit to you if you could watch someone tie, or maybe get enrolled in a tying class.

Here's one fly-tying site that may give you some help. They have a basics section.

www.ultimateflytying.com

I kind of think you can get started for around $100.00. Be forewarned though.
Tying is just as addictive as fly-fishing, maybe more so! I'm sure that there are a lot of members here (myself included) who will help you in your new endeavor. Good luck, and I hope this helps
Old 09-18-2007, 08:01 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold

ok too late. i am cheap lol. I went on ebay and bought a kit that comes with
Low glare, black finish, AA Vise with C-Clamp for bench or table attachment
Material spring
Bobbin threader with brass handle
Dubbing hook
Hackle pliers
Material cutting scissors
Thread bobbin with flared ended tube
Dubbing needle/bodkin with brass half-hitch tool
Improved whip finisher with brass handle
all these cost me 25 bux including shipping.

next I bought a 50 + bags of materials on ebay for 24 bux with shipping . (they seem like small bags but more materials than the cabelas brand kit) but it will get me started for now. also i will go to gander mountain asap and get me some head cement and the threads and some extra glo yarn and hooks.
so for 50 bux i got all that and maybe for 25 more i can get alot more supplies from gander. hope it works good. like i said i am cheap and i am just beginning. if the vise sucks i will replace if i like tying. wish me luck! now I am excited like on christmas day when u were a kid lol.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:18 PM

jdgrubbjr is on a distinguished road

Good luck, and let us know how you are progressing!
Old 09-18-2007, 08:30 PM

thnx. hope it all works out. I will post pix of my flies when I make um. do you recommend any flies that are fun to tie? I have to make some sucker spawns soon also because steelhead are coming in. I was gonna try to make some hares ears and wooley buggers too.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I think wooly buggers are probably the most useful fly to learn how to tie, nationwide. There's oodles of different variations on it you can tie, and its one of the best fish catchers i know of. I'd start out tying it in size 8, and then work your way down to 10's and 12's, and make sure you get 3x long streamer hooks. (Mustad's 9672 is the standard) I find the beadhead version easier and faster to tie.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:25 PM

thanks cliff. I have been watching people tie them on you tube. looks pretty cool. I will make some and post pix. also i am gonna make some sucker spawns, and glo bug or mcfly eggs for steelhead . maybe make some nuclear or blood dot style also.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:30 PM

Fishplease is on a distinguished road

Easy flies eh?

San Juan Worm
Foam beetle
Old 09-19-2007, 06:36 PM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

If your like any of the rest of us tying will become
like a "second" nature. Once you start tying your
own flies & catching fish with them you've begun
to travel down a familiar road of the fly fisherman.

I started much like you with a "cheaper" vise, but after
taking several classes using a rotary I was hooked. There
are numerous rotary vises that are plenty affordable. We
have had several threads over vises. If you can try to
look them up, they maybe helpful.

Don't take this the wrong way, but try not to get too
discouraged if the first flies you tie don't look exactly
like the photo. Trust me I have a jar at my tying bench
that is full of "butt ugly" flies that will be dismantled this
winter, if I'm not steelheading.

Tie some up & catch some fish,

Tie One On
Old 09-19-2007, 11:35 PM

I never get discouraged really. I am sure my 1st flys won't be perfect. I will try this cheap vice for the time being and invest down the line later. I say the more you practice the better you get. the thing that I think will help me the most is being able to watch stuff being made on you tube and stuff. too me that makes stuff way easier to see it 1st person than to just read it and try to understand. I will post my 1st fly so you guys can judge them. even if it looks jacked up. lol.. keep you posted. I just got to play the waiting game now.