The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 04:10 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice
Default Comparaduns

Just curious on how much people use them. Other than not getting enough of a "wing" on the first few I tried tying it is a pretty easy tie. Thoughts and opinions? I need easy right now, I'm still a beginner.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:33 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Comparaduns

I'll likely be tying some of them tonight, as I'm likely going to be trying a number of BWO imitations tomorrow. However, it will be my first time tying them as well as my first time fishing them. Will give you an update if either occurs!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-13-2012, 04:45 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

2 things
I think that comparaduns, their similars and their variations are generally more productive than hackled flies
I like flies that don't use expensive hackle (or other pricey materials for that matter)

I tie most of mine with snowshoe rabbit rather than deer hair
Old 03-13-2012, 05:16 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I love them. I tie them for bwo's, sulphurs, as well as Adams grey, tan, and light olive. Tied dozens last month for the summer from 16 down to 20 this far
Old 03-13-2012, 05:18 PM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about

Hey JCW,
I primarily use them for bwo's and pmd's, great fly to have in the box.
They make for a excellent dun imitation on tailwaters around these parts.

I tie them with the fibers facing forward and then finish it by pulling them back and building it up just enough in front before doing the whip finish in order to get the nice vertical profile that stays in place.

Good Luck!
Watson
Old 03-13-2012, 06:46 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

I tye with CDC wing in BWOand Sulphur's with great success also puff daddy's fished dry, puff daddy very sparse dubbed body with a CDC tyed soft hackled style but treated fished dry with great success worked last summer better than compara dun's
Old 03-14-2012, 11:01 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I use both comparaduns and parachutes. Several times I've been in the situation where fish will take a parachute and not a comparadun; or vice versa, they will take a comparadun but not the parachute.

If you carry just one or the other, I think you can miss out.

I have two theories as to why this occurs. I believe the flies represent different stages in emergence. I think refusal occurs when the fish are either selective to a specific stage OR if the fish has seen the surface impression of the refused fly before and recognizes it as not food.

I have been in a situation on the San Juan River when the fish were so selective they fed only on a subset of BWO duns. I was fishing with some friends and was called over by one of them who was casting to a pod of feeding rainbows in slow water. He had casted to these fish and not been able to catch a single one so he called me over to try. I asked him to cast again and I could not see any problem with his presentation. There was no drag. The fish just refused the fly.

We could see that the rainbows were taking mature duns. The fish had refused both his comparaduns and parachutes. I had some no hackles and put one one and the fish took the fly.

Then I caught a few more but there were fish in the pod that refused the no hackle and yet I could see that they were taking duns. Why did these fish refuse?

I stopped casting and looked a bit closer and I finally noticed that these fish refused the duns with perfectly upright wings and took only the duns that were canted to one side or the other with one wing up and the other down. So I fixed my fly so that it would float canted, and I was able to catch more of the fish.

This is the only time I have ever witnessed this super specific feeding behavior because the fish on he fish on the San Juan are not angler shy. You can really get close to them and they will continue to feed.

My theory is that these are super pressured fish, and when the hatches are dense, as with the BWO hatches on the San Juan, there are enough of these canted duns for the fish to feed just on these. I know that this type of super selective behavior exists, and it is not surprising to me that some fish will refuse a parachute and take a comparadun or vice versa.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 03-14-2012, 11:17 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Well there you have it, JW...the compara dun is a great fly!

Silver - great story man, I think you are right on all accounts. I've been refused on parachutes and then had the same fish take compara duns willingly. I was just re-reading a section of LaFontaine's The Dry Fly last night about the differences he observed from underwater observation between compara duns and parachutes. He was sure they represented different stages to the fish. He referred to compara duns as "nymph/duns", a stage that certain mayfly species hit and become trapped in the film before flight, while parachutes represent tangled, still born, dead bugs. He also only used compara duns for flies under size 14, for 14 and above he had a unique pattern.

Also, he talks about the No Hackle and thorax duns, how they are "too precise" for general fishing, their odds of being eaten are the same as a natural during a heavy hatch, which is not as good as we would like. But he also explained your exact situation on when they are needed, for the very fussiest, most selective fish.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:30 PM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post

I stopped casting and looked a bit closer and I finally noticed that these fish refused the duns with perfectly upright wings and took only the duns that were canted to one side or the other with one wing up and the other down. So I fixed my fly so that it would float canted, and I was able to catch more of the fish.
You make a strong argument for the cripple stuck in the film with one wing canted. I use a "cripple" emerger for that with the deer hair off to one side in the appropriate size (here on a #18 barbless emerger hook)

Click the image to open in full size.

Hugh
Old 03-14-2012, 03:06 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

I've been using a black snow midge version with success.
Grey antron or EP fiber for the wing. CDC wing will float better.
Black 8/0 thread body.
#20-24 curved hook.

Add a parachute if desired.

Super simple, probably about a 1 minute tie with practice.

I just started using them, a few top eats so far, and several takes as a trailing midge at depth.
Someone mentioned to trim the wing shorter if not getting bites. It worked! Took a mm or two off at the stream with my nippers and got a dry bite.

@lajolla, nice cripple! probably copy that...