The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2007, 09:20 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default Re: 1st ever hares ear!

thanx man. I tied a few more today and tried a pheasent tail that came out great except i tie a lil close to the eye hook and its kinda hard to get too. looks good tho. then me and my cousin tied some eggs and sucker spawns. again not bad but not great. maybe they will work maybe not. guess we will find out soon. I can't wait for my 50 + materials to get here from ebay. I can make more kinds of stuff then. keep ya posted
heres the pheasent tail
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1st ever pheasent tail.JPG (92.7 KB, 5 views)

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:24 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi George,

You are doing great and I am sure you are having a ball. I want to give you a couple of tips with out criticizing your flies. So here is a fly that I want to talk about the construction.

In the photo notice that the body is tapered with a more fuller body under the wing case and then it tapers to the tail. Also notice it has a distinct head. It is also very buggy and you seem to be getting the buggy part. I think you need to plan out the fly before you start to tye. Have in your mind where to stop your body so there is enough space to include a head. Look at the hook and think about the proportions of the fly and what part will be covered with the wing case. This will come with experience and lots of trial and error. Someone else suggested buying a couple of the flies you want to tye. That is good advise and if you cut one up you might learn how it is constructed.

Frank

Gold Ribbed Hares Ear
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:54 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold

thanks frank, I like honesty. these were my 1st few flies I tied. I have tied a few since then and seemed to do better on those. I think every time I made another I understand it more and understand the basics of tying. thanks for your tips and pointers. I will make more and post um. I have more stuff coming in the mail now and all the thread colors and 50 + materials. i will make more stuff and post the pix. thanks guys don't be afraid to say what you think. I know these aren't perfect yet. keep ya posted..oh ya. frank I will try to make a hares ear that looks like that pic and post it tommorow. see what ya think.

PS
i also just used regular sewing thread for the pheasent tail. i needed that color and am waiting for the good thread. so thats what its prolly really bulky

Old 09-25-2007, 12:52 AM

philthy is on a distinguished road

Hi George,

I'll chime in, but won't beat you up! I'm sure almost every one of us had our first flies lookin like the south end of a north bound cow. I can't count the number of mine that went straight from the vise to the trash can. I would suggest a pretty decent book, though. It's called "Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple" by Skip Morris. I paid 20 bucks for mine, but you may be able to find it a little cheaper on ebay. You'll be pretty surprised that your local shop is pretty doggone close on prices (at least they are here) to what you'll find online, once you figure in the wait, etc. There's always those "aw shucks" times when you need something right now, and your local shop is the answer....support 'em when you can! There's also some pretty decent patterns/instructions on flyanglersonline.com

Believe it or not, I've never tried to tie a hare's ear and I'm not particularly fond of pheasant tails, either. Call me crazy, I guess since they're supposed to be easy. Lately, I'm into tying the smaller midge patterns (size 22-26). I've got a set of midge jaws on order and I'll tackle some 28-30s when they get here. I also like tying small (sz 22-24) parachute dries like the BWO and Adams. Guess it must be the challenge.

Hang on to that sewing thread. There's probably times you'll use it....several midge patterns call for "Coates and Clark". You'd be surprised! Your flies will get better as you go along.

Phil
Old 09-25-2007, 10:45 AM

thanks phil. i will have to check that book out. well off to work. when i get back I might tie some more up.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:41 PM

hey just made one after looking at your frank and here it is. do you think the tails to long? also I tried to make the body slimmer than the top and I also left space to tie a head. heres the pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hares ear top.JPG (84.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg hares ear side.JPG (88.1 KB, 4 views)

Old 09-25-2007, 03:49 PM

Fishplease is on a distinguished road

I can see the improvements!

And I have an easy fly pattern you can practice. Get some white chenille good enough to cover a size 10-14 hook and some white saddle hackle. Until then its a secret how the hackle is used. (unless you can figure it out)
Old 09-25-2007, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

OK George,

That is a good tye. You are getting there. Yes, I think the tail is too long and the wrong material. The tail on the Hare's Ear is fur from the Hair's ear. You could also use some Peacock Herl as the wing case. I realize you don't have all of your materials yet. Do you have any fur to use for a tail?

If you want to be a great nymph tier I recommend this book: Tying Nymphs by Randall Kaufmann. It is expensive but well worth it.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:19 PM

jdgrubbjr is on a distinguished road

You're on the right track!
Old 09-25-2007, 06:43 PM

sorry frank no fur yet. its on the way. i used the pheasent tail as a wing case also if u can see from the top view. thanks guys. I will also clip the tail a lil more and shorten it up. keep ya posted and when i get all my stuff I will tie ones with real rabbit fur. all I have now is rabbit dubbing. i should steal some of my cats hair its grey. lol. we also made some egg patterns and sucker spawns. I also got lots of new threads on there way. plus i have white chenile here but have white marabou and white hackle on the way. so whats the secret on the hackle? i have seen someone tie a bugger and use some hackle for the front and use the hackle pliers and stuff