The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Fly Tying Discussions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/)
-   -   1st ever hares ear! (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/2529-1st-ever-hares-ear.html)

GeorgeMcFly 09-22-2007 04:49 PM

1st ever hares ear!

2 Attachment(s)
ok heres how it went down! I used lead wire under the body. tan thread and tan rabbit dubbing. i used a pheasent tail for the tail and had no turkey for the wing case so this nymph don't have them. i used to half hitches and a whip knot finish. not perfect but I was just trying to practice. here what ya think for my 1st try ever! guess it resembles a hares ear. kinda lol!! boy that was fun to tie !

tie one on 09-22-2007 06:56 PM

Re: 1st ever hares ear!

Nice work :-)

One thing you may try is either looking up a pattern
on the internet & print it out, or find a book. (Try
the library, or your local fly shop) These have been
a great help for me when I first started tying. I've
been tying for years, but these still are a great
resource.

Keep tying,

Tie One On

GeorgeMcFly 09-22-2007 07:09 PM

ya. I watched someone on youtube make one and copied off it a lil bit. I dont have all my materials yet they r still in the mail, so i couldn't make a wing case. thnx for the advice. I will make some more stuff tomorrow. keep ya posted

Fishplease 09-22-2007 07:53 PM

Once you get used to it, you can master that fly. But when you're wrapping the abdomen, use copper wire and wrap it in the opposite direction so it holds the dubbing better. Plus extra weight.

makubwa 09-23-2007 03:48 AM

Great effort. On ebay recently there are cheap flytying ebooks for sale.

troutbum 09-23-2007 08:11 AM

Hey Mcfly....Mcfly..Great first try!You will catch fish on it.When I was first learning,I went to the fly shop and bought a dozen flies that I wanted to learn to tie.I sat at the vise and copied them untill they looked simular.Then tied a dozen or 2 of each one.Once you have them down,you could start down sizeing them.Other great fly's to learn to tie IMHO are-
Wooly Bugger's-very effective and simple to tie.(many different variations)
Gold ribbed hare's ears-again very easy flies,looks like you are on your way to tieing it properly already.
San Juan worms-can be deadly,check at a fly shop near you to see if they are used in your area.
a couple other's are,Prince nymph's, Zug bug's and Scuds.
When you get the basic's down and want to try your hand at a dry,have a go at a mosquito-very simple.
For streamers,try a couple Micky Fins.-I have yet to fish anywhere where a MF wouldnt take a fish or 2.
Tight Lines
Aaron

GeorgeMcFly 09-23-2007 02:07 PM

thanks guys! ya i used gold tinsel instead of wire. my gold wire is coming in the mail. i did however use lead wire under the body as a lil bit of weight. the wire slid around a lil at 1st tho.

troutbum 09-23-2007 02:47 PM

Try wrapping thread on the bare hook shank before wrapping your wire.Should help keep it from spinning on ya.
Aaron

GeorgeMcFly 09-23-2007 09:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
oh ya duh! stupid me. that makes sense now that I think of it. I made 2 more and they look better. just having problems on the whip finish but I think I figured it out now.

troutslayer 09-24-2007 06:08 AM

Looking good! Let us know how they work! I just got back into tying this summer and recently made some gold-ribbed hares ear nymphs and I haven't tried them yet but I'm going to soon! Good fishing with them!