The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 04:50 PM

FliFysh is on a distinguished road
Default What do you think about this for storing materials?

Hey guys,

I was walking through menards today and noticed these storage containers. I'm just starting to tie flies and I use a small Plano tackle box that you have to flip over to get to the other compartments. I'm looking for something more permanent that has room for expansion as well.

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-ha...834-c-9189.htm

I'd also be curious to see how you all store your materials. Thank you!

I only fish on days that end in Y.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: What do you think about this for storing materials?

Hi Jon,

I used something very similar for many years for keeping the tools, threads, floss, tinsels and hooks in. This type cabinet will also keep your hooks beads and all sorts of small packages of dubbing and etc.

For feathers and other bulky materials I use the plastic type 3 or 5 drawer cabinets with the caster wheels on the bottom. These are sold by wal Mart, Target, Home Depot and many other stores including the office supply stores.

Below are some pictures of the containers I'm talking about.

Click the image to open in full size.

Small table top type;

This is how I keep the threads and such now.

I hope that is the kind of feedback you were looking for,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-21-2012, 05:21 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I think that Menards cabinet would be great for different spooled material, and hook boxes. You'll want something with larger drawers, as Ard showed, for feathers and fur.
Gary
Old 03-21-2012, 05:51 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I use that exact thing for rod parts. Back when I made a ton of rods I had a lot of parts around. I have 4 of those. I have never thought about putting feathers and stuff in them because the back is open, the tops of the drawers don't meet the bottom of the drawer abouve and it just looks to easy for little 4 and 6 legged critters to get into.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:18 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

I use the same one to store hooks and beads.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:25 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

That's a nice cabinet for some of your smaller stuff--spools, tools, etc. Right now I have a large tool chest that carrys a portable kit but am keeping an eye on some of the Plano Phantoms Pro tackle boxes which will be a better chest travel kit. Other than that I have about 30 of of the Rubbermaid, lidded, shoe boxes that house the remainder (keep in mind we used to tie flies commercially) and four of the larger sized flat rubbermaid boxes that are about 2'x3'x1' in size. Good luck with your stroage and believe me, plan for expansion!
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 03-21-2012, 07:31 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

One thing about Ard's setup.. maybe it's location dependent.. I used to keep necks, etc in open air containers like that.. not tying for a spell, didn't notice, and I got some bad moth problems.. lost a lot of money in materials

Now all the hair/feathers go into 2 gallon rubbermade/Tupperware containers that I label the lid and side so I can see them on the shelf. I have about 4 of those, and about 8 1 gallon sizes, then so on..
kayo likes this.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:31 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Jon, that's a good deal too. I use a similar one for beads, barbell eyes & cones. I just saw them in Home Depot for $20.

I also have a couple of the plastic bins that Ard has posted. But, I keep all my natural products in zip lock bags. Helps to keep the moths & such out as dhayden has said.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 03-22-2012, 11:55 AM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, this.

Not to rain on anyone's parade. but I would SERIOUSLY discourage the storage of ANY NATURAL MATERIALS in open air containers, or anything that you cannot SEAL COMPLETELY. I've seen too many instances of bug infestations ruining materials to ever do this, or to recommend others do it either.

When I looked at those pictures of the large drawers with an Silver Pheasant Skin, capes and saddles and a Jungle Cock cape (or 3!) stored 'al fresco' I started gasping for air.

Not only is it an open invitation to have outside pests enter your storage environment, but it encourages the potential spread of late-hatching insects that might have hitchhiked their way in on some piece of material to hop from one item to the next.

Each item you purchase should be closely inspected, cleaned of any excess fat or other foreign material, washed thoroughly, dried completely, then sealed in a NEW package of its own and labeled with the date, source, and any other identifying information.

While you may not see active adult insects on material, there may be eggs or 'nits' deep in the material that aren't apparent to the naked eye that become visible after they hatch.

Containers of the type shown that you located are fine for 'hard goods', like spooled materials, beads, hooks, tools, synthetic body materials and hair... but I'd never use them for any natural materials.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default A good point made but.....................

Although I can appreciate the concern over some sort of infestation getting into materials there are some things in my containers that came with my original fly tying kit circa 1968. being old school I am a moth ball guy, not a ton of them to stink up the entire house but one in each drawer and you're good to go. Many of my materials have moved with me living in Pennsylvania, Georgia, Virginia, Colorado, and Alaska. Always I would check to see if there was a faint hint of moth ball in my stuff, if there was not then you add one.

Being careful of what you gather for fly tying is also helpful. I have always been a purchaser of materials excepting an occasional grouse, pheasant, or partridge pelt or loose feathers. Items such as these I inspected then bagged with a moth ball and even they have been with me for many years. While I believe in the old adage, better safe than sorry, I have never succumbed to paranoia over my materials either.

It is a choice to be made by each person I guess, good point.

Ard

PS. I think there's 10 of em in there

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;