The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 08:21 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Favorite flies for mountain streams?

I'm getting ready for a little bluelining and was curious about color and pattern choice. I know the Southern guys historicly prefered something with yellow in the mix and red is another good choice. So far I've tied up a box of bushy attractors in the standard Adams color schemes and some tans as well as yellow and red stimis, plus a few dozen softhackles in red, yellow, and rust. Whatelse should I have?
Old 03-27-2012, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Favorite flies for mountain streams?

Bi Visible, or elk hair caddis............... actually any of the traditional dry flies will produce well, mountain trout don't have a lot of time to make a decision when something comes floating along. I always used whatever struck my fancy unless the Female Beaverkill were on my home stream, then I fished with the FBK

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-27-2012, 08:50 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

There you go the BiVisable! I knew I was forgetting something! Thanks Ard! I'm out of elk hair but I have a fresh new patch of dun dyed deer hair that'l have to do
Old 03-28-2012, 10:14 AM

smalliesrule has a spectacular aura aboutsmalliesrule has a spectacular aura aboutsmalliesrule has a spectacular aura about

I fish EHC and Stimis 90% of the time from spring till fall, and small streams is all I fish. You don't have to worry about it being too big either, like Ard said they don't have long to decide and a big mouthfull means they don't have to eat as many to satisfy the appetite. 10 & 12 Stimis, and 12 and 14 EHC.
Stan
Old 03-28-2012, 12:09 PM

jborn is on a distinguished road

My favorite and most productive set up on small mountain streams in New Mexico is a Elk Hair Cadis or small May Fly, size 16 or smaller, followed by a size 16 or 18 Black Ant. I fish the ant about 18 inches behind the first fly and I catch more fish on the ant than any other fly.

jlb
Old 03-28-2012, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Here are two great flies for mountain streams
Two fast water flies.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:12 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

My goto flies for small streams:

Royal Wullfs and Red Humpy's - size 16s for both
Old 03-28-2012, 04:08 PM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light

CDC body, sparse hair wing caddis
2 minute tie
Old 03-28-2012, 06:45 PM

blueline is on a distinguished road

Not sure if im much help unless your headed west.

I go with Adams, BWO, RS2, WD40, brooks and griffiths and always an ant are 4.

have fun
Old 03-28-2012, 07:56 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
My goto flies for small streams:

Royal Wullfs and Red Humpy's - size 16s for both
+1, attractors