The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 11:28 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Keeping fly pattern recipes?

I usually search youtube for any standard patterns I want to tie, and if they are mine, I usually type the recipe out and take a picture of the fly and save it on my computer or I just remember how to tie it. I have a dozen or so flies I use at the two major stillwaters I fish, and flies I use in the river, and flies that I have tied up to try for one reason or another in my fly boxes.

I actually have it on my list to sort my fly boxes this weekend and reset them - a couple for the stillwaters, a couple for the river, a couple dry fly boxes, etc...of course I take them all where ever I go, just in case none of the normal stuff is working.

Weather is going to be bad again all weekend so no fishing and I have already tied up a dozen leaders, and a dozen flies last weekend due to weather being too windy to fish.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:07 AM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

I keep all of my flies and recipes in a program called "OneNote" from MicroSoft. I have looked at other fly tying data base applications but I have not been impressed with them.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:22 AM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

I'm just not that organized. I do keep a folder in my computer with recipes, though. When I come across a fly recipe online that I think I'll want to tie sometime, I open a word doc and do cut and paste. The format is:

Name of Fly
Photo
Materials
Recipe
Step by step (if available)
Credit

I file them in my folder and when I want to tie one I simply call it up on screen. There are three subfolders; Trout, Bass, & Salt.

My intention was to add personal notes to each recipe after fishing them, but I never have done it. Yet.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:04 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin View Post
I keep all of my flies and recipes in a program called "OneNote" from MicroSoft. I have looked at other fly tying data base applications but I have not been impressed with them.

I like Open Office. That is where I put my original patterns with photos. It is open source and free. The Open Writer is the one that I add my documents and recipes etc... I have a different name for every fly, and file. So I am sure I am not doing my computer any favors with all those files. But that is how I am doing it presently for my stuff. Now other patterns I have yet to tie, that is in my bookmarks mostly. I have not tried One Note. I guess I better take a look at that.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:05 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Its rare that I follow a recipe but then most of what I tie are the old standards that are simple enough to remember. When I started tying I used to keep index cards by the vise and over time they're just ingrained in memory.