The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 10:40 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Keeping fly pattern recipes?

In this thread: What have you been tying today?

There are dozens of flies, that are on my list to tie.. anyone found a good way to keep track of them?

I've been copy/pasting the link into another document

(not just from the link above)

Like this:
What have you been tying today?

That I can click on when I'm tying

I put them in sections by person too.. helps me remember..

I have sections for kelly, laurie, planettrout, mcnerney,webrx, eric.. and a few others, then misc until I get more patterns for that person..

I know - OCD
Old 03-30-2012, 11:12 AM

iaflyguy will become famous soon enoughiaflyguy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Keeping fly pattern recipes?

I like where you are going with this.
This may be slightly off topic, but it relates somehow.
The thing that's been bothering me today is..... with spin fishing, people have it down to size, color, type, and action for each season and species. They have it cataloged on a list and it can be referenced to use as a starting guide as to what to use when you reach a new water or are just wanting an educated guess.
Much of that can be used to help determine a fly, but its a pain to study spinfishing just to get more of an idea what will work for colors on fly fishing.
You can match the hatch if its an insect, but that isnt always that easy.
Basically, what I want to say is.... when Im tying flies this season, what colors, shape, blah blah blah should I gear my flies more towards and what is something that is more later in the season.

So..... how it could be further broken down would be;

Spring (pre spawn, spawn, post spawn)
Summer
Fall (early fall, mid, and late)
Winter

for each species (or groups of species since bluegill and crappie are similar)

for different regions.

If this info is out there, can it be compiled into a single thread or group of threads?

(i'll see your OCD and raise you ADHD, HAHAHA)

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

To answer your question more specifically.. I save pictures of the flies. Once they are saved to my computer or a flash drive I right click on the picture and go to properties and include the recipe and other info in a general information box. That way its always together and not reliant on the internet.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:02 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Just tie em and chuck em in a box

i have boxes split for trout drys, trout wet, streamers, marabou jigs, bass/panfish flies small, bass flies BIG, salmon, and I used to have a saltwater box somewhere. thats about as organized as I get

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 03-30-2012, 12:22 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

For every pattern that I tie, the recipe goes into a spiral notebook - before I post it on my THINGEE...I have been doing this prior to the internet, so I don't forget...

PT/TB
kayo likes this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 03-30-2012, 01:06 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I believe fly pattern recipes should be:

1. Key word or phrase searchable for both title and/or text. This is searching for metacontent, that is content in database and not just the title of the data

2. Available forever

3. Easily accessed

4. Compact

I have found that,

1. Printed copies are not easily searched or compact. They cannot be searched for metadata/metacontent.

2. Digital links like URLs, bookmarks, are not always available. They change or are no longer available. The entire old Fly Fisherman Magazine bulletin board disappeared.

Therefore,

I keep my own digital copies complete with photos imported into a text document and/or PDF. Photos and illustration originals that I cannot get can be captured with a screen capture cut and paste (command-shift-4).

The titles can be searched as can the text. I can search for type of fly, the naturals imitated, tying methods, materials; anything that is in the text I can find. My computer can list according to best match, by date, etc.

They are instantly available regardless of whether the original is still on line. I past the original URL as the first line of the text so that it can be referenced if it is available.

I can print out only what I need, a selected photo, or a limited instruction set.

It is backed up and the entire pattern library can also be backed up to a DVD and mailed to friends.

I have an iMac and no special database is needed. The Mac "find" command does the heavy lifting.
fire instructor likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 03-30-2012, 01:14 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

If it's in a book that I own, I just tie it, and any notes I'll either put in pencil in a margin, or on a post-it note.

For the recipe's and SBS's that I find on-line, I've been bookmarking by category; wet, nymph, streamer, dry, etc..; one's that I find that look "interesting", but before (or sometimes after), I cut and past into a Word document. I have the accumulated word documents in a folder now, but I imagine that I'll be "upgrading" to a binder as I accumulate more.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 03-30-2012, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Good question--

I use a Mac too and the Find feature is very helpful. I try and keep track of recipes in Word documents by the thing they're supposed to imitate-- so recipes for different hatches, baitfish etc, and lists of stuff that don't fit well for attractor patterns, classic patterns, steelhead and salmon patterns etc.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:15 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
Good question--

I use a Mac too and the Find feature is very helpful. I try and keep track of recipes in Word documents by the thing they're supposed to imitate-- so recipes for different hatches, baitfish etc, and lists of stuff that don't fit well for attractor patterns, classic patterns, steelhead and salmon patterns etc.

Another feather that I often use are aliases. I have a folder for flies I want to tie and I use aliases pointing to the actual document showing how the fly is tied. So if I find an interesting article on anything that I can want to organize in a sub folder, aliases are da bomb.

Another great thing about digital files is the cloud. Your files are available all them time anywhere on virtually any kind of device. If you are tying at a show, any fly or tying method is a mouse click or finger tap away. You can have an encyclopedia of knowledge in your palm. If it is hardcopy only, it cannot be available all the time every where.

Yesterday, I received a digital fly recipe from my friend. I often trade recipes with him. If he asks me for a recipe, I can search, find it and get it to him in 5 minutes.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 03-30-2012, 04:26 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Dave, I have a bit of OCD myself. Okay, what you can do is use a program like Fly Source, or TreeDBNotes. I find myself bookmarking tons of recipes, and then I have to reformat, or I lose my bookmarks, then I'm ticked. It helps to keep a back up copy...but I am the last one to do it, I know. You can add a tag for names of tyers too if you wish on some formats, and platforms. I am open to a better way to do this too. I have no telling how many patterns I wanted to tie, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I am sure we've all been there.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:36 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Years ago I was writing them all down on paper or cards. I have them stuck in the side of the rack full of fly tying magazines and the few books I own. There are a ton of them I just remember the recipes for. Anymore there are not that many I really use all the time. Of those I invented half of them. Don't need recipies very often. Once in a while I see a fly that I like and will tie one for giggles. Just because I like to tie.