The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 10:11 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Dying Saddle Hackle

Have had many great replies to this thread. Thanks very much.

Dan, does your method vary at all from this method? http://www.ronnlucassr.com/docs/Dyin...hers%20101.pdf

If it does, I'd be appreciative if you could send some instructions my way.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:23 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin View Post
Orange with a touch of red will give you a bright burnt orange. Test with one feather just in case it does not work.
Denny uses Jay Fair's burnt orange which is more brownish/earthy in tone if that makes a difference. I use Jacquard's Burnt Orange, sometimes with a touch of brown to dull it down.
I know nothing about koolaid, other than to drink it Good luck.

Jay Fair is OOS on the burn orange.

Hmmm, is there any brown koolaid?
Old 03-31-2012, 11:58 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
Jay Fair is OOS on the burn orange.

Brown Kool-Aid?
Cabela's sometimes has the Jay Fair items or you could try Steve at Fly Tying Specialties or try these www.dharmatrading.com
Old 03-31-2012, 11:59 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

thats a bruiser for sure
nice work!

casey

ARFE
Old 04-01-2012, 12:04 AM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

I found this link just now by accident, its about dying wool with Kool-Aid
www.Knitty.com

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer09 View Post
I second the koolaid, its seriously easy, and somewhere on the internet I remebrr seeing a chart that showed what flavors made what colors.

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 AM ----------

I second the koolaid, its seriously easy, and somewhere on the internet I remebrr seeing a chart that showed what flavors made what colors.
Hey! You have an echo! I have seen the same chart. It may be on the fly tyer magazine site. I think it was them that did the chart in the first place. Maybe? It neven had ratios to get the colors you want. Plus it does not get cheaper than a pack of KoolAid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
Mix Orange and Green KoolAid. Like mixing paints. You can use a color wheel to figure it out to.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:28 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Mix Orange and Green KoolAid. Like mixing paints. You can use a color wheel to figure it out to.

Look at the big brain on Dan.

I went ahead and ordered dye from that Dharma Trading Co site.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:49 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

google Fly Dyes organic dyes ,great colors,easy to use. good results.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:08 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted4887 View Post
Dan, does your method vary at all from this method? http://www.ronnlucassr.com/docs/Dyin...hers%20101.pdf

If it does, I'd be appreciative if you could send some instructions my way.
That's kind of it. They are going for a specific look there. I mix one cup of hot water per bag of KoolAid. (Sugar Free) I wash the feathers in dawn dish soap and water, about the same mix as I do dishes. You definetely want to test a feather before you do a bunch, so take a washed feather still wet, put it in the Koolaid mix and Micro Wave it for about 45 seconds or so. The longer you micro wave it the more dye it will take. It is permanent so over doing it is a one way street. After you take it from the micro wave just rinse and dye it. KoolAid comes in all the case colors so you can mix any color you want. Any color. It is cheap, you can get it anywhere and it is permanent. And I do mean permanent. So scoff away scoffers, I love it.
ted4887 likes this.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:31 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

sugar free is key here, i just bought some regular kool aid to dye duck quills, and they didnt really take the dye as well as i thought. When they were dry they were sticky as all hell. had to wash them. I wonder did the sugar affect the pH of the solution, i know it definitely affected the osmolarity!

Addicted To Vise