The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 09:06 PM

ted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to all
Default Dying Saddle Hackle

I've got a couple of wet fly saddles in grizzly that I want to dye. Just curious to know what dye and process everyone else uses on their hackle?
Old 03-30-2012, 09:59 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dying Saddle Hackle

The cheapest easy way to dye feathers I ever found was with KoolAid. You can mix virtually any color you want and it is seriously permanent. No Joke. If you want to try it I'll give the detailed step by step. It's how I do it.
kelkay and kayo like this.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:14 AM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Acid Dyes from Jacquard and Dharma Trading. Not expensive and easy to use. Acid Dyes are made for use with feathers and fur.
Kool aid will work if they have a colour you want.
kelkay likes this.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Do yourself a favor and begin dying materials a little at a time. Pluck out enough feathers to make a nice batch of flies and then after you decide on what dye to use follow instructions carefully. The most important thing I can tell you is do not boil feathers or whole capes a good hot dye bath in a container in your sink will get them done.
Boiling is reserved for furs and I would advise some experimenting with small chunks of hide before tossing in a large chunk of a valued material so you get the timing down before you go whole hog. I've dyed lots of stuff over the years and I still keep my batches small for purposes of quality control.

Good luck,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-31-2012, 11:56 AM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Here is an excellent video on dying hackles using Acid Dyes.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:55 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

I second the koolaid, its seriously easy, and somewhere on the internet I remebrr seeing a chart that showed what flavors made what colors.

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 AM ----------

I second the koolaid, its seriously easy, and somewhere on the internet I remebrr seeing a chart that showed what flavors made what colors.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:33 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

hope this helps some folks. i've been looking for purple wing quills for some time but to no avail. i'm gonna have a crack at my own using koolaid!

Addicted To Vise
Old 03-31-2012, 07:46 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

I need some Burnt Orange Grizzly hackle so I can tie up some of Denny Rickards stillwater nymphs.

Anyone know how to get that color with koolaid?

Maybe Orange with a little red?
Old 03-31-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
I need some Burnt Orange Grizzly hackle so I can tie up some of Denny Rickards stillwater nymphs.

Anyone know how to get that color with koolaid?

Maybe Orange with a little red?
Orange with a touch of red will give you a bright burnt orange. Test with one feather just in case it does not work.
Denny uses Jay Fair's burnt orange which is more brownish/earthy in tone if that makes a difference. I use Jacquard's Burnt Orange, sometimes with a touch of brown to dull it down.
I know nothing about koolaid, other than to drink it Good luck.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:21 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

you might wanna check out funky feathers from feathersmc....great looking stuff, but might not be useful for what you want it for.

To make burnt orange you need orange and brown

Addicted To Vise