The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 12:49 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Foam Body Technique

Anyone have a know or have a link as to how this type of body is made?

Trina's Carnage Stone Skwalla

Thanks, Dave
Old 04-02-2012, 02:00 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Foam Body Technique

Foam cut on a bias, coated with contact cement and rolled up. The foam is basically a right triangle. You can vary the lengths of the sides to get the taper you want. Roll part of it up, put on hook and roll the rest of the foam around the hook.

Click the image to open in full size.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-02-2012, 02:36 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
Foam cut on a bias, coated with contact cement and rolled up. The foam is basically a right triangle. You can vary the lengths of the sides to get the taper you want. Roll part of it up, put on hook and roll the rest of the foam around the hook.
Way are you rolling? The way I just did it (with a sheet of paper to figure is out) was to roll the length of the hypotenuse toward the right angle, I don't see how you would wrap around the hook. But when it's rolled like this, you would have to cut it in half and you'd have two bodies. The you'd just have to either run the hook through it ala a rubber jig or just lash the end to the hook...which might be nice actually, could add a little wiggle.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:46 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't actually made the fly. You could roll the entire body and then slice it half way to mount it on the hook like the the Morrish Hopper below but I don't see the body tied down.

The only way I can think of to make the body and mount it on the hook without it being tied down is to roll the body half way then roll it the rest of the way around the hook. You roll it the opposite way, from the base toward the peak, ie, from bottom to top in the triangle below.

Or you could make it like the Morrish Hopper above by cutting the body half way and using the Morrish style knotted legs.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-02-2012, 02:59 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The only way I can think of to make the body and mount it on the hook without it being tied down is to roll the body half way then roll it the rest of the way around the hook. You roll it the opposite way, from the base toward the peak, ie, from bottom to top in the triangle below
I get it. I was rolling it an different way. Even rolled around the hook you are going to have to tie the end of the body down, preferably where you tie in the underwing.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:26 PM

Dave and Dean.

Let me know if it works. It's an interesting fly.

I can't believe you two are from those two places in Montana. Is one of you a Bobcat and the other a Grizzly?

I almost moved to Bozeman in 1999 and my stepdaughter lived and worked in Missoula in 2008. I eventually bought 28 acres on a Montana spring creek so I am a taxpayer of sorts.

Silver

Old 04-02-2012, 03:45 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dave: Silver has the correct idea to build the body. What I did was cut a piece of 2mm foam, but was having difficulty rolling it, so went down to a 1 mm sheet and I cut a piece that started about 3/8 inch and gradually widened to approx. 3/4 inch over about a foot. You will need to experiment to get the body width you're looking for in that fly pattern. Then all I did was start rolling the piece from the narrow end, after a couple turns put it on the rear of the hook and continue rolling in the same direction. Here is a very rough first attempt, I didn't put the feather in the end. I also think some glue in the end would help hold it together, as is the end is just going to unraffle.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:04 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Thanks all!

I think this will take some tinkering.. I had no idea where to start.. this will get me pretty close

It was a featured fly on MFCs facebook page today

I didn't go to either one.. but definetly:

Go Cats!
Old 04-02-2012, 04:34 PM

As I give this more thought, I'm wondering whether there in an internal "splint" like a stiff piece of mono, may be mono from a grass whip. The tail could be tied to the mono.

Or maybe a long rectangular slice of foam from the edge of the foam sheet that the tail is tied onto and then the triangle of foam rolled around it. You could put a long sewing needle in your tying vise, thread the foam onto the needle, tie in the tail and then start rolling the body. Slip the partially formed body off the needle and then roll the body around the hook.

With the needle firmly in the vise, the foam could be rolled around a stiff needle to get a better shape.

Silver

Old 04-02-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
As I give this more thought, I'm wondering whether there in an internal "splint" like a stiff piece of mono, may be mono from a grass whip. The tail could be tied to the mono.

Or maybe a long rectangular slice of foam from the edge of the foam sheet that the tail is tied onto and then the triangle of foam rolled around it. You could put a long sewing needle in your tying vise, thread the foam onto the needle, tie in the tail and then start rolling the body. Slip the partially formed body off the needle and then roll the body around the hook.

With the needle firmly in the vise, the foam could be rolled around a stiff needle to get a better shape.
I was thinking that too, but that's too much work for my to put into a foam bodied stonefly whose hatch I'll probably miss anyway. The skwala's are out here and the flows have been really unstable and high and as a wade fisherman I passed it up last weekend! Hoping for a chance a Salmonflies this year...last year there was not a chance.

Silver -- yeah, Missoula is "Go Griz" land and even though I'm alum, I cannot get behind the mania. The football program here is in a bit of turmoil at the moment. Dave and his Bobkittys are certainly enjoying it!

Where is your spring creek? Lucky devil.