The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 09:57 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Whiting 100 Packs...

How do they measure up? Meaning are their sizes fairly matched to hook sizes? Never used them before and thought I would give them a shot rather than buy an entire cape or saddle.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:20 AM

flytyer123 will become famous soon enoughflytyer123 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Whiting 100 Packs...

i have used them and i really like them but a full whiting saddle costs 60-100 dollars and will ties thousands of flies so unless you just want an odd color in an odd size i would go with the full saddle.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Whiting 100's are whiting saddle feathers-- excellent quality for dries, thin flexible stems make them easy to wrap, stiff barbs and high barb density. You'll get several flies form each feather, and the pack will tie 100 flies in the smae size and color.

The barb length on the few packs that I've used has seemed a tad longer than recommended hook size for some of the hooks I use with a "standard" gap (like the old classic Mustad 94840), but sizing seems generally on target from most packs-- especially if you use dry fly hooks with a slightly wider gap like Tiemco 100's. If you're ordering online from a real fly shop (as opposed to a big box store) and can't inspect them yourself, you might ask someone that ties at the shop to verify the labelled hook size against a hook model you use.

Personally i think the 100's are a better deal in some hard to get sizes like 20 and 22, or if you're just looking to crank out a lot of flies in one size and color. But buying a bunch of them in different sizes in the same color is a pretty expensive way to go.

Although whole, half and quarter Whiting dry fly saddles are hard to find now because of the hair extension craze, as Flyter123 points out they would be a better deal in terms of the number of flies they'll tie, and offer a range of 2-3 sizes.

If you're looking to tie a bunch of flies in a wider range of sizes like 18-12, something like a Whiting Hebert Miner cape at around $30 is a pretty good deal. If you're just getting started tying dries, a Whiting Introductory pack with 4 half capes at $60 is a very cost effective way to get a range of colors and sizes (usually ranging from 18-10) . Typically they come with Grizzly, Brown and Medium Dun and one other color-- if you can find a pack with Light Ginger as the 4th color, you'll have a great set.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:02 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

my experience is that the 100's have accurate sizing for the smaller flies but are too small for the larger sizes. As the saddle feather have been getting longer the barbs are getting shorter.

It used to be in the 1970s that size 18 in a saddle were impossible to find, now they are common and the 12s are hard to find. I say check your sizes very very carefully on any whiting 100 sized 14 and larger.You may find a size 15 or 16 hackle in a 14 package.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-03-2012, 07:09 PM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light

I must be a heretic. I so much prefer the Whiting Hebert-Miner capes which, in silver, easily go to 26, give a great variety and are wonderful natural colors. They suit my tying style more that the 100s, and price-wise they are not as expensive as the Whiting Reds.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:46 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Around $18 to $23 for the Whiting 100 Pack, $29 to $35 for a Hebert Pro Grade Cape.
I guess it all depends upon your needs and usage.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:45 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I'm definitly going to look into the Heberts but for right now I want to crank out a mess of size 16s. The 100 packs seem like the quickest route. Thanks for the replies fellas.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:25 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I go in circles about which is best. I recently did get 100 packs in blue dun cover 16-22's for tying a mess of BWO's and I don't regret it. Someday I'll get a whole saddle but for now it worked well and makes it easy to find what I need.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytyer123 View Post
i have used them and i really like them but a full whiting saddle costs 60-100 dollars and will ties thousands of flies so unless you just want an odd color in an odd size i would go with the full saddle.
Or if you don't want to invest that much, you can get a Whiting quarter saddle for about 50% more than a hundred pack and tie 3x as many flies with it.

I think that's the way to go.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:58 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
I'm definitly going to look into the Heberts but for right now I want to crank out a mess of size 16s. The 100 packs seem like the quickest route. Thanks for the replies fellas.
They certainly aren't more economical than going the full or half saddle route, but I use these almost exclusively for ties like the Griffith's Gnat or really any time you want to crank out a bunch of flies. They take the guess work out of choosing the right size, you can easily get 100 flies from a package and are a good choice for a newbie fly tyer. I have found the sizes for smaller flies to be spot on.