The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2007, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Ad"vice" on a new "vice"

gvollmer,

Thanks for the kind words.

The Nor Vice and the Renzetti Master vice are the only two that I know about that you can spin. The Renzetti Master is way too expensive and the Nor Vice does not appeal to all. Another vice you might consider is the Dyna-King Barracuda. It is a good vise made with stainless steel and uses ball bearings. The jaws accept a wide range of hooks and holds them really tight.

I don't think you will be disappointed with the Renzetti Presentation Cam 2000. The articulated arm will allow a very precise adjustment placing the hook on the center line of the vice. Two things I dislike about the Renzetti vices is their use of aluminum and they don't have a ball bearing head, except for the Master. Keep in mind that I have never owned a Renzetti vice. The people who do use them seems to like them a lot.

Frank

Dyna-King Barracuda
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:28 PM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

See you are the man......Frank The Man.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 10-24-2007, 05:48 PM

troutbum is on a distinguished road

Although I have 2 rotary vices and love them,I dont recommend them to new fly tiers.My only reason for this is I believe the repitition and slower steps in traditional tying help to really hone one's skill.
Once I started to tie for a couple of fly shops I moved over to a rotary and never looked back.I must say, for tricky flies that I dont tie often or when creating a fly I always use a standard vice.
Tight Lines
aaron
Old 10-24-2007, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi aron,

There may be something to what you say but any rotary vice becomes a standard vice if you lock it down. Most will agree the rotary vice has advantages. If a beginner bought a standard vice it would only be a short time and they will be wanting a rotary vice. I recommend that people buy the best vice they can afford and bypass the cheaper non-rotary vices.

Frank
Old 10-25-2007, 08:10 AM

troutbum is on a distinguished road

Now that I think about it,Thats a good peice of advise.My fault is that I am one of those"old school" type of guy's that figure the best way to learn the basics is the way I did.I realize that is not always the best way.
Tight Lines
Aaron
Old 11-02-2007, 08:07 AM

Chris Mason is on a distinguished road

Sorry about the delay in giving an update on my purchase. Last weekend I decided to buy the Regal Pedestal Vice - I thought about this for a while and listened to all opinions given. I really like the vice and it works great for me. On another note: I got the deal of a lifetime - Here is the breakdown. I went to Cabelas and decided to buy the Regal Pedestal vice, which was priced in the display cabinet for $250. I told then this is what I wanted and they went and got me a new one out of another cabinet still in the box. I then proceeded to the register and it rang up for $199.00 (for those of you that are wise to the regal pricing - this is the cost of the clamp only model) - they must have had the wrong barcode label on the box. I know I should have said something, but it was by birthday and I felt I deserved the break. Next I had a $75 gift card given by Cabelas when I bought Simms waiders and boots about a month ago. THEN the lady told me if I sign up for a Cabelas credit card I will get an additiona $65 off my purchase. So I did that and the $250 vice ended up costing me $60 plus tax!!!! It was a great day!

NOTE: I am the VP for a Credit Counseling company and I do not recommend signing up for store credit cards just to get the deal of the day, but I did this due to the amount saved and I WILL cancel the card immediately after I pay the bill!!!!!
Old 12-20-2007, 01:31 PM

Gene is on a distinguished road

I am in the market for a new vice and happened upon this thread shortly after registering. Wow, the Nor-Vise is quite a step up from my 22 year old POS vice. What could there be not to like about it? I like the auto-bobbin too. Sorry, but I just don't buy into the rational of a beginner would want to use a non-rotary. I know I sure would have wanted a rotary when I started!

BTW, Nor-Vise has all their videos on youtube, here:
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

They convinced me.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Hi Gene,

Welcome to the forum. You will be spoiled by the Nor-Vise in no time. The new style of locking jaws are better than the ones I have. It does a fantastic job of tying flies with little effort. I especially like how easy it is to dub a body.

Frank
Old 12-20-2007, 04:08 PM

Gene is on a distinguished road

I'm already spolied from watching all the videos and just imagining how much more efficient tying will become! Yes, the dubbing demonstrations blew me away.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:35 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I started out tying with a Thompson "A" & used it until I saw a demo of a Rotary vise & had to have one so I got a Traveler. Then I watched that "Nor" Guy at the Somerset NJ Fly Fishing show & had to have it, As I sit here, 2 finger typing this, it's next to me on the bench under a pile of bags of feathers, fur, hooks etc. Alongside of it is my tying station with a Griffin rotary Vise all set up. It's one butt ugly vise but I like the way it rotates & i can get my hands around to the rear of the fly. I have never got the knack of tying anything but a streamer on the Nor Vise even though I watched the demo a few times. I'll give it a try again when i get into Streamer Mode & maybe try to tie something smaller on it. I would not advise the Nor for a beginner as it takes a different technique to tie on it...
i should spell it vice
Merry Christmas
Fishn50