The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2007, 11:40 PM

Gene is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ad"vice" on a new "vice"

Yes, it will take a different approach in technique, for certain. But I wouldn't think that would bother a newbe all that much because they don't have a technique yet.

Good point about getting to the rear of the fly. That's exactly why I'm ordering the fine-point jaw conversion with it.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:51 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Gene
I'm just wondering how you like the NOR Vise.

Fishn50
Old 10-08-2008, 06:35 PM

thetroutbum is on a distinguished road

I started out on a Thompson long ago and then moved to the Traveler and then to the Masters. Later I moved on to the Dyna-King Barracuda and used it for awhile. I have now been using the Dyna-King Supreme for about 10 years and really love it. I still have all my vises and the Traveler still sets on my desk along with the Supreme. I still use it sometimes if I am working on two different flies. The rotary vises are good but not for everybody. I have big hands and with the Supreme I can move my hands all around the vise and can turn the vise at any angle for viewing or tying. I also like the weight of the Supreme as it is made of Stainless Steel. By the way the Renzetti vises are great vises and if I were going to use a rotary vise they would be at the top of my list. Look at all types of vises before you buy and please block out the hype and marketing.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:22 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I might be a little late on this one, but I too have the Renzetti with the thumb screw. The "O" ring broke on mine after about 15 years. I called Renzetti, told them how much I loved the vise and asked where I could get a new "O" ring. The sent me 5 of them with no charge.
I have since bought the cam jaw (which, I am not going to lie, but you could buy a less expensive vise like a Danvise for the price of just the cam jaw, but I got a great deal on one)
I would probably still pay the full price as this vise has been through allot and it still awesome.
I do also have a Vosseler Vise, but I still use the Renzetti.
I also had a Regal which I sold because my old hands had a hard time with the clamp on the vise.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:27 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Having paid $5 a fly for a couple small nymphs and midges (nothing complicated) last month up at the San Juan/NM, I decided it was time to start tying again after several decades' absence from it - and I wasn't all that accomplished then. I do recall that I bought a "starter" kit, which no doubt was low-priced because it contained all the materials, etc. no one would ever use, so this time I want to start out low and slow and not sink a bunch of money in before I really know I'll stick with it. Along that basis, I'm looking seriously at the Danvise; it's light which helps with traveling, but I'm guessing its extensive use of plastic might be less durable, even though it appears a strong resin-type plastic. Features seem fairly advanced for an $80 vice - full rotary, ball-bearing, the most sophisticated table clamp I've ever seen, etc. Any thoughts out there by you veteran fly-tyers, keeping in mind a lot of these "drool over" vises are way more than I'd want to pay at this point?
Old 11-28-2008, 05:27 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

My brother in law bought one and loves it. They are sweet and Rotary! Wahoo!

Great vise and I have tied 28's on it, he, he, he.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:25 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Thanks, Joni. Being able to handle the 22-28 midges common in the tailwaters I fish (San Juan & Guad) was also a major criterion for me. JStoddard sells a $20 extension for the clamp which users have said enhances tail-of-fly access, so I might consider getting that along with it.

Any thoughts on a very portable light/magnifier that might work well with it? I was looking at the MacKenzie, but it has a standard 3.8" hole through its base for insertion of the vise shaft; only problem is, unfortunately the DanVise has a non-standard 10mm shaft, which is about 1/64" greater in diameter.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:42 PM

I started off with a lamp/magnifier from Harbor Freight. One those crane type with the light in the magnifer glass and the lamp in the same housing. The kind the Fly Shops sell for $20. or more but at HF it was like $7. It clamps to a table.
But for the past 5 years I have been using one of these:

Daylight Table Top Lamp w/Magnifier at BEARSDEN.COM

The price was right at Sportsmen's Warehouse. Base is heavy, but it is work-able.
I would like one of the micro set-ups, but I keep buying rods and reels LOL

My Vise is a Vosseler and it is a suction cup so I can't hook a lamp to it either.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:26 PM

Joni (& others),

Problem I have with most of these lamps/magnifiers is that with weighted bases et al, they're not practical to travel on airlines with. The MacKenzie I mentioned earlier would work well with these constraints except for non-standard vise shafts as in the case of the DanVise. Have you ever looked at the Stone Fly Lamp (image attached below)? It looks fairly compact from a travel requirement standpoint, but I've heard that its LED lighting can be a bit low for fly tying.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stone Fly Lamps-Magnifier.jpg (21.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 11-28-2008, 10:39 PM

I agree on the size and weight. I haven't flown with mine.
I would LOVE the Mckenzie set-up, and I thought about using the pedistal I have for my Renzetti and a metal rod the diameter of the vises, but then again I do have both kinds of vises. I just like the Vosseler for shows because it is such a work of art.

Check this out:

Daylight Table Top Lamp w/Magnifier at BEARSDEN.COM