The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2008, 11:05 AM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Ad"vice" on a new "vice"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
The Renzetti Presentation Cam 2000 is a vice I can recommend. It has good jaws that are easy to operate and cover a wide range of hooks. The rotary feature is very handy. The only negative is it is not a ball bearing design.
Frank,

How is not having a ball bearing design a negative? (Just curious as I do not know very much about vices.)
Old 11-30-2008, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi BlueDun,

First you need to know that I have a Nor Vise that I bought back in the 70's. The Nor Vise, the Renzetti Master and one other that I can't think of right now allows you to spin the fly with a flick of your thumb and finger. You can't do that with any sleeve bearing vise that I know of. In normal tying where you rotate the fly with the handle a sleeve bearing works just fine.

As to the Renzetti 2000 it is at a price point that I think we should expect it to have ball bearings instead of a sleeve bearing. Ball bearings are smoother operating and probably longer lasting. The difference in less expensive rotary vises and the more expensive rotary vises is the quality of construction and materials. With that quality I want ball bearings and jaws that are easy to operate and will clamp a large range of hooks.

Frank
Old 11-30-2008, 09:16 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Frank, thanks. Your explanation was helpful.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:32 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen the vises in action that you just flick and the spin with ease.
Very nice but, I wouldn't need or use it.
I guess I prefer some tension, just like a reel, but, I see what Frank is saying about the price (cost of material and all)

I basically only use my rotary when I am using a dubbing loop. I know my Chironomids would probably go faster but I am really anal about getting the ribbing perfect, and I use my thumbnail after each wrap to snug it in.

I do think, if you are buying a vise, get one with the rotary feature. Even if you only use it once in awhile, it is nice to know you got it covered.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:24 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvollmer View Post
I have read the other posts on this forum concerning recommendation on which vise to buy, but I still have questions.
I currently have an older Renzetti Travelor vice at least 12 years old. It is starting to rust on some of the black metal parts and the "o" ring and thumb screw locking mechanism doesn't seem to lock the hook in tight enough for my likes.
I think it is time for a new vice! and I need to tell my wife an idea for my b-day comming up. I am really interested in the Regal/w base model.
Does anyone have experience with the Regal vices? Do you recommend other vices instead? and what is your reasoning for this recommendation?
I just priced a set of the new (cam locking) jaws for my Renzetti Traveler bought in 94'. The jaws cost $77 they may solve your problem and you can drop some hints about a new reel for your birthday.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:37 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

The Cam jaws for the Renzetti are the price of a lesser Vise, but they are great. I have both, the cam and the thumb screw, and I use both. I found with the cam, if I am doing a small fly with allot of close work, I was bumping the cam and releasing the hook by accident, so now I switch to the thumb screw on those.

But, then again, I find I use the Vosseler more than the Renzetti. Guess it is what you get use to. The Renzetti is the best for the dubbing loops.