The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2007, 12:33 PM

Chris Mason is on a distinguished road
Default Ad"vice" on a new "vice"

I have read the other posts on this forum concerning recommendation on which vise to buy, but I still have questions.
I currently have an older Renzetti Travelor vice at least 12 years old. It is starting to rust on some of the black metal parts and the "o" ring and thumb screw locking mechanism doesn't seem to lock the hook in tight enough for my likes.
I think it is time for a new vice! and I need to tell my wife an idea for my b-day comming up. I am really interested in the Regal/w base model.
Does anyone have experience with the Regal vices? Do you recommend other vices instead? and what is your reasoning for this recommendation?
Old 10-19-2007, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Ad"vice" on a new "vice"

Hi gvollmer,

The Regal is a good vice. It is very quick to clamp the hook and is handy if you are tying a bunch of flies. How ever it is not a good rotary vice. The new Renzetti vices that use the lever to operate the vice jaws are quite handy also. The Renzetti Presentation Cam 2000 is a vice I can recommend. It has good jaws that are easy to operate and cover a wide range of hooks. The rotary feature is very handy. The only negative is it is not a ball bearing design. Check one out

Frank

Renzetti Presentation Cam 2000
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:54 PM

slatedrake is on a distinguished road
Re: Ad"vice" on a new "vice"

As with any purchase there are trade-offs in function. You must decide what is important to you. Are you going to be tying complicated flies that require the rotary features of a Renzetti? If so, then that's probably what you should get. For me, speed and durability is more important. I have been using a Regal vise for the last 25 years and it still looks like the day I bought it. Again, it really depends on your preference and how complicated your flies are.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

In case your heart skipped a beat when you saw the price of the Renzetti Presentation, I'd consider the Cam Traveler version. I bet you could tie half a million dollars worth of flies before wearing the thing out, and its priced pretty close to the "better" vices out there.

I still wish I had bought one instead of my Dan-Vise 7yrs ago, but then again, my Dan-Vise is still going strong.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:32 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Quoting Slatedrake .........."Are you going to be tying complicated flies that require the rotary features of a Renzetti? "

Dude anyone that ties anything can benefit fromn the speed of the rotary vices. The simplification of all the tying steps by having more control over thread placement and tension. Not to mention the ability to tye both sides of a fly evenly. It's invaluable for laying out the ribbing or floss on evenly on all flies. In this day and age I'ld say it has to be a rotary. That would be like going out to buy a new phone and insisting on a corded over a cordless. Why tangle yourself in the past..move forward.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 10-23-2007, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Well, the one undeniable disadvantage of a rotary vise is accessibility to the rear of the fly. (assuming its pointing to your right) With a Regal or other "trout fly" type vise, you don't have to work your left hand around the vise as much to get at the fly. (assuming you've got the thing pointed up)

That being said, I agree that the advantages of a rotary greatly outweigh the disadvantages.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:30 PM

Thanks for the advice so far on this topic. My Renzetti travelor seems to be worn out. the screw to hold the main vertical shaft in the base no longer holds it "tight" from rotating. I always seem to be playing with the rotary handle's locking nuts and obviously the thumb screw jaw locking mechanism is starting to wear out and not holding the fly tight.
At this point in my tying career, I will never tie 3 dozen of flies in an hour. I tie to spend some quality "me" time with basic patterns, not for mass production. I pretty much only use the rotary feature to turn the fly over or on its side to get a better angle, view or to trim. I don't know if I will ever use the rotary aspect to "zip" thru a hackle or a body application????? I think the ability to see the fly from all sides is all I need.
I guess I am just concerned about the durability of the Renzetti and I also like to try new things? Are the new Renzettis' built any better today? Is anyone having issues with slipping of flies, the verticle arm slipping in the base or the locking mechanism on the rotary arm?
Old 10-23-2007, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

gvollmer,

It might help you to see a true rotary vice in action. Take a look at this video.

Frank
Old 10-24-2007, 07:35 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

The video says it all !!!!!!! Notice if you will..he whip finishes with his fingers!!!

Yes you may not tye a dozen flies an hour or a hundred a month. The rotary vices just simplify the redundant tasks of tying. Allowing you more time to be creative and adding more precision to the "tying" part of each fly.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 10-24-2007, 08:39 AM

Frank I appreciate the video link and I understand its benefits. I don't know if I am really interested in the Nor-vise, due to price and having to mount it to something in order to use the bobbin post. Also, this guy made it look "very" easy! From what I know this is the only vise that you can really perform the tasks like he was demostrating? Can you really just "spin" a Renzetti? I know I can't on mine. Don't get me wrong, I understand the benefits of a rotary vice. I guess since I asked for everyones experiences and opinions, it sounds like the majoritiy says Renzetti. As you know I already have one and have been very happy with it, I was just looking to possibly get something different, like the Regal, but it may just be a little old school and I think the Nor-Vise is a little too crazy for me and seems to take up more room than I would like. If there are any other opinions, I would love to hear them, I will probably be purchasing a new vice this weekend or next week. (New Renzetti cam 2000)

P.S. I would like to thank you personally Frank for your expertise and valuable information that you have provided me on all of my posts and all others on this forum, you really make this the number one resource on fly fishing!!!!!!