The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 11:52 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Default My try at Crawfish

Click the image to open in full size.

after catching a smallie with a munched crawfish half way down the gut, I decide to try my hand at a crud crawfish pattern. let me know what you think.

Mike
Old 04-08-2012, 12:13 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: My try at Crawfish

For what it's worth, I like it, but since I don't eat a steady diet of crawfish, you'll have to ask Mr. Smallmouth!!! LOL!

If you want to try to experiment, what would the claw look like of you tied a wrap around it, about where the black band is on it? Would it look even more like a claw at the end of a claw arm?

I've got a craw pattern that I'm waiting to try, but the saddle feathers that I need are back-ordered. Most crawfish around here have mostly olive coloring, so I'm waiting for olive saddle.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 04-08-2012, 01:03 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Looks good to me, Mike, but like Rick said, the smallies are going to be your best judge. The fish in your waters don't seem to be shy with regard to food size, so size shouldn't be much of a factor, but make sure to sharpen up those hooks! I might bulk the tail with some marabou or something but who knows, that might be too much and you might have it just right!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 04-08-2012, 02:49 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

If I was a smallie I'd eat it. Looks good . Go feed em. Not to many smallies turn down anything that resembles a craw.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 04-08-2012, 09:00 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

If it came with cocktail sauce I might go for it!
Here is one of mine:
Click the image to open in full size.

Mottled thin skin over the back with medium wire holding it down.
Grizzly matuka for the claws.

A tip I got from a local pro: fish like to eat crayfish that are wounded and lacking a claw or two. From an actual scientific study: A crayfish with one claw gets more bites than with two, etc.
I've also heard of big trout 'disarming' crayfish before eating them. Wait for the real tug!
Old 04-08-2012, 09:47 AM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

thanks guys, I used burlap to build the body up, in a a tan and olive. then painted a bit of red on it since the ones I see are a dark red when big enough. I used my last lead eye from my bass kit on this one, so ill soon be making a trip to get more stuff, more correct for tying these. Ill see what it looks like in water before changing anything. might hit it was more head cement, and some fishy sent to cover the burlap and paint taste. but it may not matter..
Old 04-09-2012, 10:52 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbblom View Post

A tip I got from a local pro: fish like to eat crayfish that are wounded and lacking a claw or two. From an actual scientific study: A crayfish with one claw gets more bites than with two, etc.
I've read the same thing many times, bass (especially smallmouth) will avoid crawfish with large claws. That's why a tube jig will outfish just about any other smallie lure on the market - it imitates the action and overall impression of a live crawfish, while totally lacking any claws.

Love the fly by the way Mike. Let us know how it fishes with the dumbbell eyes located at the hook bend like that.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:04 PM

Ill report, I plan to tie it on first wednesday. I may snip off the bulk of the claws, I didnt want to just have one claw to avoid spining.. Ill try to get some underwater video of it too.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:40 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

I like it- I tie a simple one that is fairly similar but in addition to the squirrel tail for claws, I use the back feathers from a pheasant skin (the "church window" feathers)
Old 04-13-2012, 06:48 PM

cool. I havent had this one tied on yet. the trout were biting good on my BWO so i didnt want to try anything else.