The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2007, 12:25 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default Re: peacock wooley bugger

thanks cliff and xjguy. I wasn't sure what to get and didn't wanna go all out expensive at 1st. if I get a whiting or metz saddles can I tie drys with them too? maybe i will get one if i do. I just ordered some flashabou green and some chartruese flash, plus some chartruese chenile. got me a hair stacker too and bead chain eyes. I am gonna make some crappie candy and couldn't find the green wool yarn so i say chenile would work about the same. every so often I throw 20 down on some supplies. sooner or later I will get um all I guess. seems liek no matter what ya get there are 200 more things u need lol. after its all said and done you could open a fly shop lol. anyways just wondered if the saddle from metz or whiting can tie drys and buggers. frank said something like it wouldn't work? maybe he meant the webby feathers for the dry. everything i read says saddles or necks can both be used for dries? thats why i thought u used cheap stuff for buggers. what about hen? whats that used for? wet? dry? sorry for the basics. i am so confused when it comes to the feathers to get for buggers, drys, and wets
what i know is a metz or whiting neck can be used for drys. partridge for wet. saddle I am confused on. pheasent too. I wanna tie alot of sizes. not 24's tho. say like 10 to 14 or 16 or so. never used a 16 before just 14

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:55 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

George,

OK I will try again. You are making this way too hard.

It is confusing when starting out learning what is good hackle. If you want to tye buggers, or learn what bugger hackle is, buy one of the Whitting Bugger Packs I showed you above. Whitting knows what they are doing and this is the very best way to learn hackle without a teacher. When you get the right bugger hackle and learn what it looks like then you can buy it any where you want. If you want good dry fly hackle buy one of the Whitting dry fly 100 packs in the size you want to tye. After you see and use that hackle you will know what dry fly hackle is. So it will cost you $12 to learn what good bugger hackle is and get 75 flies. That seems like a good deal to me. If you get bugger or dry fly hackle from Whitting then study the hackle. See how stiff or soft the hackle is. Look at how much webbing the feather has. Is the hackle straight or tapered. This is all part of the learning process. It is harder for you because you don't have someone to teach you. If you follow my suggestions you will know what bugger and dry fly hackle is for not too much money.

Some of your confusion is there are more than one type of saddle hackle. The name "Saddle" indicates where it comes from on the bird. Dry fly saddle hackle can be 12 to 14 inches long, very narrow with no taper. You can tye several dry flies from one feather. There is little or no web and they are stiff. A bugger saddle hackle will be shorter, wider with some taper, have more web and will be softer. So you can't just buy any saddle hackle and expect to tye all different types of flies. I say this based on my desire to tye the best dry fly I can or the best bugger I can. I may be too fussy and other people may have a different perspective.

Frank
Old 10-27-2007, 01:02 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold

thanks frank sorry for the trouble. now I understand what ya mean. I always thought a saddle hackle was all the same just different grades of um. I will go in person and look for a good hackle. maybe this chinese hackle will work good enough for the buggers and i will just get a quality neck or saddle for some dry flies.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:18 PM

ok got my saddle in the mail today. I see how soft it is already. finally I made a real peacock bugger! used marabou tail, crystal flash, black chenile then peacock for the body and then the chinese saddle tied in with the copper wire. looks pretty good for my 1st try. the front of the fly seemed to have a lil thicker hackle ( the barbules seems to stick together a lil) . maybe I need to trim a lil more I think before I wrap it in next time. other than that its not bad. hardest part was wrapping the copper wire through the hackle and not smashing it down. well heres the finished product. I will try it out when I hit the river! better than I thought it would come out!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg palmeredbugger1.JPG (68.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg palmeredbugger2.JPG (53.2 KB, 26 views)