The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 03:32 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default pink squirrel nymph

I got a question
Anybody ever tie the pink squirrel in any other colors but pink ?
What worked best?
I'm going to tie some up and while I have no pink chenille I do have some hot pink rabbit dubbing, but I'm thinking about some different colors of chenille for the collar.
Chartreuse, white, yellow, magenta, red.
What da'ya think?
Old 04-17-2012, 03:43 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: pink squirrel nymph

Try it but pink works. Some fly fishers think that the pink represents an egg. I tied this box to donate to a TU fundraiser. There are some pink squirrels tied with flourescent hot pink dubbing in the left side of the box below the ants.

Click the image to open in full size.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-17-2012, 05:16 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I know "pink" was the ticket last year. My home tailwater was ruined because there was 14-17" of rain in a few days. Lake rose 30', absolutely dirty water. Took almost 6 months for the water to run clear. Pink worked in the dirty water when people couldn't catch trout
Old 04-17-2012, 07:10 PM

famill00 will become famous soon enough

Why mess with perfection?

-Forrest
Old 04-17-2012, 08:06 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

I say why not? I've never tried any other colors on it, but truth be told, I don't fish it very often. I always have a few with me, but just tend to forget about them. I tie mine with hot pink ice dub as opposed to chenille. It's just preference though. I would definitely tie it up with a few other colors and give them a run just to see.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:05 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

What we don't know is whether the the originator, John Behtke, tried other colors before settling on pink. We also don't know if other tiers tried various colors.

Usually the successful variations of a pattern make their way onto the internet. I haven't seen any so either no one has tried, or they have and are keeping it secret, or other colors are not as effective as pink.

Let us know how it works out, good or bad.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-18-2012, 08:00 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I have only tied it in pink. It is a great fly to have in your box.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:50 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I did some this year with Pink UV dubbing instead of the chenille and the pattern fished VERY well over the course of 10 days for both my bud and I. When wet, it has a pinkish/purplish hue to it. I will be tying more of them, they fished that well. Of course the natural is an exceptional fly as well. Chartreuse might not be a bad choice either. I had several trout smack my float putty which was chartreuse. Back in my spinning rod/bait days, chartreuse power bait was consistently a top producer.

I have tied caddis patterns that are fairly similar (missing the tags of flash on the tail) with similar materials for the body of the fly and with a peacock or peacock dubbed collar. I will say this, I am becoming a big fan of UV dubbing. Every fly I have tied that has it and have fished with has produced fish.