The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2007, 09:08 PM

dirkdigler2102 is on a distinguished road
Default sculpin

Does anyone have a good or great sculpin pattern for the great lakes area? just asking...
Old 11-03-2007, 11:04 AM

fatguide is on a distinguished road
Default Re: sculpin

One of the best sculpin patterns I have used lately is a double bunny. Tied in the proper color combonation for the sculpins in your area, with added cheeks of red it is deadly.

fish or DIE
Old 11-08-2007, 06:03 PM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

Try this one. One of the best things about tying your
own flies is the ability to alter patterns & come up with
new ones. I have tied my own version & added non-lead
wire to give it some weight to get it down. Try it out,
this one works.

Tie One On

Feenstra Sculpin Emulator - Fly Patterns - Quest Outdoors, Ltd.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:35 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I tie the Kelly Gallop Sculpin. Kinda like a Muddler and the deer hair gives it great action. Pretty easy to tie if you know how to stack hair.
I also tie them in Brown, Black and Olive, but Yellow is good.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:33 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I tie this---
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
For full pattern contact me...
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 12-05-2007, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

The tier that Joni mentioned, Kelly Galloup is originally from Michigan, He has 2 popular streamer patterns out west here called a "Zoo Cougar" and a "Butt Monkey", perhaps you could tie them with some color variations more closely seen in your area.

He has a great read on fishing and tying streamers called "modern streamers for trophy trout", check it out.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:57 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
The tier that Joni mentioned, Kelly Galloup is originally from Michigan, He has 2 popular streamer patterns out west here called a "Zoo Cougar" and a "Butt Monkey", perhaps you could tie them with some color variations more closely seen in your area.

He has a great read on fishing and tying streamers called "modern streamers for trophy trout", check it out.
Right you are. I tied the Zoo Cougar in Yellow, Tan, Brown, Black and Olive. Tried one in Burnt Orange last year and it was killer. This flie is a little time consuming so, I don't use it or tie it as often as I should.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

They can be a little time consuming, but if you get all the materials out and ready you can commit to sit down on a cold winter day and tie up enough to last a while.
I would like to spend some time with Kelly around the Slide Inn area on the Madison where his shop is, there are some big toads in that water, but tricky wading and fast current.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*