The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2010, 01:59 PM

ckotlow is on a distinguished road
Default simple question about hooks

kinda new to fly tying and im on a serious budget so id prefer to use my resources. i found a pack of gold "salmon egg" hooks (used for baitfishing)that are twisted in the bend, rather than straight like regular fly hooks. i was wondering if this bend and/or gold finish will have any affect in catching fishi on a fly rod? *im only trying to tie san juan worms with them and i dont want to drive all the way to the city to buy new hooks...thanks
Old 07-13-2010, 02:50 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: simple question about hooks

You can twist those hooks straight. I don't know about the gold color, however. Give it a try, and if they work, they work.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:14 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

"Twisting" the hooks to straighten them has an impact on the tempering and may result in a weakened hook. As for the color, the only impact would be the added visibility of the hook, so if the fish are skittish to begin with, this won't help. I've seen lots of tyers use either red or brown hooks for SJ Worms to match the color of the material/s used... but generally these are dull finished hooks that don't pickup or reflect light like a gold hook would.

YMMV...
Old 07-13-2010, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

ckotlow- welcome to the forum. Sounds like maybe you're just getting started in tying? If you are, lots of helpful folks here that can answer some of your questions as you get into it, and feel free to post pics of your flies if you want some constructive feedback.

Try tying a few of those worms on those salmon egg hooks, since that's what you have, and go fish 'em.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:37 PM

ckotlow is on a distinguished road

cool good point ill tie a few of em up and see what happens then worry about the more technical stuff once i get past start buggers and worms haha. i was just wondering if offset hooks are a known problem in tying. thanks yall
Old 07-14-2010, 09:01 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Go ahead and use them, that gold hook may throw a little twinkle that the fish will love. I like the offset style when I'm tying some of my small stuff for Steelhead. Different style hooks will give a slightly different look to a pattern, and could get the fish to take a second look.

Dan
Old 07-14-2010, 07:20 PM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

You shuold use them as is I have used silver hooks that were fine and Ive got some gold ones Im going too try, as the others have said it wont work in some places.

For Reasonable hooks try Allen.co fishing I use alot of his hooks and find them too be good and he will post them too you.

Alpha & Co. Fly Tying Hooks

Welcome too the forum

Chris
Old 07-14-2010, 10:37 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Actually, offset hooks in the smaller sizes are an advantage in hook setting, because they provide additional hook-setting advantages to counter what tends to be too small a gape in small hooks for an effective hook set.