The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gatortransplant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 11:24 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Default Tonights tie.

So this is what happens when you get sucked into a new hobby... I ended up picking up a fair amount of materials this past week at BPS, so I had to try a few new things I havent tried. heres what I came up with. comments please.

Click the image to open in full size.

AJ you will recongnise this one. lead wire around hook for weight so I hope less snags then the jig head we used.

and one I am very happy with.

Thanks for looking.
Mike
Old 04-23-2012, 11:51 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Tonights tie.

Fish catchers indeed. I've got a buddy that would love to throw that Crawdad at some Bass. He keeps asking me to tie up some. Must do soon.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:57 AM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

im hoping to throw it at bass tommarrow if the storms stay away..
Old 04-24-2012, 09:06 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I'm liking the crawdad as well. Should be a good attractor pattern too due to the colors. As far as the new take on the jig, you may find it actually snagging more. The jig had a better chance of running hook-point-up and likely only snagged because the weight. If you're getting to the same depth with your version, you may actually risk snagging more, rather than less, since the hook point will ride down. The difference will likely be that the lead-wrapped version likely has slightly less weight than the jig and will sink in a different manner (which may also effect its attractiveness to the fish, as the way in which a nose-weighted fly/lure dives and rises when twitched is generally believed to be beguiling to the fish).

But this is what tying is all about, experimentation til you find the most productive patterns!
mbphotos54 likes this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 04-24-2012, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Mike,

The Crayfish looks the most polished of the bunch however I expect all the ties will catch a fish. The first fly, the extended body job; I played with making extended body green drakes until I had one that looked almost reel. The problem was that they didn't work any better than a #18 blue quill during the hatch. You could also get the fish to take traditional tied gray fox dries so the realistic flies were a bit of a let down. They are fun to make, how did you extend the abdomen - mono?

Anyway, you are on your way. Work on your technique for tying so they look like the ones in the pictures in the books and you'll feel really proud when you open a fly box.

Good work,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-24-2012, 10:13 PM

thanks Ard, the extended body is a wire. I picked up a fly tyer magazine yesterday and that was one of the high lights. I like the idea of thick mono for flexablity and lighter weight. I dought itll float. these are my first trys with dubbing, kinda weird so far. the crawfish is awsome, I just waht to give it more girth next time and also make a few smaller ones.