The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By darwin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 03:42 PM

jor fly is on a distinguished road
Default Dubbing and beads

Two quick questions:

1. Is there an advantage to gold beads vs. copper beads in terms of one being fished in clear and/or murky water vs. the other. (I fish small streams for primarily stocked trout)

2. I've been tying most of my nymphs with rabbit dubbing, or prism dubbing for when I want extra flash. However I've been curious about squirrel, muskrat, beaver, and antron. Does anyone have any information or a link that could detail the advantages of one dubbing material over another?
Old 04-26-2012, 10:14 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Dubbing and beads

Not exactly what your after but a related good read non the less.
UKFlyDressing - Dubbing Techniques
la_jolla1 likes this.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:04 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

I fully agree this is a SPLENDID article for those just beginning and long time tyers alike.

I have a binder that has baseball card pages in it and I cut 3x5 cards to fit in each pocket. Against the white side, I put a sample of the dubbing blend and on the lined side, I listed the mix of materials in it.

Each one has a color and number (olive #1, 2, 3..) and then the bags of the material are numbered to match. If I get low on one I use a lot, then I can recreate the mix.

As for bead colors, the long time thinking (in black bass fishing) is copper for dull or discolored water, silver for bright and clear water and gold for other conditions. I haven't REALLY seen that much difference... I have however seen a difference in nymphs tied on red hooks- part of it seems to be the hook bend showing.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:17 PM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light

Greatarticle for all comers - thanks Darwin
Old 05-03-2012, 07:02 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

The biggest advantage is it gives the folks who sell tying materials more products to sell & us tiers more variety to tie with!

Seriously, I don't tie many trout flies now, ( I tied commercially for 15 years) but for most nymphs I tie I also use rabbit. I tie a lot with rabbit anyway, bass flies & such so I always have some on hand. I make a point of keeping my trimmings & using the hair for dubbing. I hate wasting anything!

I've tied with just about every natural, legal material possible. They all have different properties, and some are probably better than others for specific patterns. But, for the most part it boils down to what you like to use.

Fur such as Muskrat or Beaver, being water animals, has natural oils in them that make them float well, so they work well on dry flies, but can also be used on nymphs as the fur traps air bubbles well, which can give the fly a different appearance than the fur such as rabbit that just soaks up water. Fur such as squirrel has a lot of stiff, spiky guard hairs, which can give fly patterns very "buggy" appearances. Again, it's really what you like & what you're trying to get the pattern to do. All such materials can be useful.

I've tied patterns like Hare's Ear's with things like Bobcat fur, and frankly, the appearance was almost identical to rabbit, and the fish didn't care either. They still ate them.

I agree with what stimmy7 posted about the bead colors, but, nothing is set in stone. I also use the different bead colors, and many times just depends on my mood. I do however feel in some conditions, a shiny bead can be advantageous, just as a black or dull bead can be. The best thing to do is try a few different ones & see how the fish like them. IMO, there's nothing wrong with having some variety for when you need it.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!