The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 11:11 AM

bigtel is a jewel in the roughbigtel is a jewel in the roughbigtel is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: beetle

hi guys the legs are formed with black ostritch herl,probably to much but will try it and let you know.next ones will have some mirage or something similar over the back to form a nice shiney wingcase.

thanks for the comments.

terry
Old 05-10-2012, 09:32 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Do I get a prize for guessing correct?
Old 05-11-2012, 08:54 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

I've uploaded a few Beetles to my Pictures & Albums however I haven't added them to the Threads,check them out as I've mentioned before they are very similiar to Bigtel's.
Brian
Old 05-11-2012, 09:51 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I put a tail on this and fish it with a sinking line, but basically the same pattern.
Ever try "LOCO FOAM" this is called Oil Slick

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:12 AM

bigtel is a jewel in the roughbigtel is a jewel in the roughbigtel is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
I put a tail on this and fish it with a sinking line, but basically the same pattern.

like that joni,where do you get loco foam havent heard of it ?

terry
Old 05-11-2012, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Nice beetle Terry...a bit hairy ,you're right...but should catch fish
Joni your locofoam is outstanding
Old 05-11-2012, 12:23 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post

Joni: I sure like the looks of that Oil Slick surface treatment!

Old 05-11-2012, 03:14 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

That looks like it would crush smallies as a tadpole pattern there Joni, here's some of the beetles that live in my boxes I do some with and without the CDC 'wing' it just makes it easy to see in certain light.

I guess we should make this the official Beetle Thread.
Joni and bigtel like this.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:40 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

J. Stockard carries it. Only Oil Slick is Northern Lights:

JS Fly Fishing: Rod Building, Fly Tying: Metz/Wapsi Loco Foam

The pearl is white with like the oil slick on top.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:32 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Joni,It's really good stuff I'll have to order some,the Tails on our Beetles are only short.
Beetles/History
It was The time over here when The Beetles literally swarmed around The Gum Trees in their thousands & the Trout was really feasting on them & we all we all were using Beetle Patterns,so I suggested to Mark we have a Beetle Swap as I hadn't seen any of your Patterns.
It eventuated as The #1 Terrestial Swap & turned out so popular Mark ran a # 2 Terrestial Swap.
The Beetles range in size from a #12 Size Hook Right up to The Huge Christmas Beetles Tied on # 6 & #4 Hooks.
I have seen Gum Trees In LA however I don't know if they are elseware in The US or whether The Beetles Followed them over,as it's a long way to Fly,13 1/2 in a JUmbo.
Brian