The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 01:29 PM

bigtel is a jewel in the roughbigtel is a jewel in the roughbigtel is a jewel in the rough
Default beetle

playing with foam
size 16 beetle thanks for looking, terry
Click the image to open in full size.
madjoni likes this.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:18 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: beetle

Buggy! I hope that you got into one of the ongoing terestrial swaps with that pattern!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 05-09-2012, 03:20 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Nice and buggy. I like the legs.

If the trout aren't extremely picky.. you might put on a small orange or yellow indicator foam piece on top of the black. I'd tie it in at the 'neck'

Here's another way:

Charlie's FlyBox - Beetle
Old 05-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Terry: Very nice looking beetle! That should be a good attractor. Would you mind listing out the materials, I'd like to make a few.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:26 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtel View Post
playing with foam
size 16 beetle thanks for looking, terry
Click the image to open in full size.
Hi Terry & Larry,they are a great Fly & is becoming common in everyones Boxes,Terry your Pattern looks great & is similiar to the ones I've tied for the #1 Terrestial Swap,where I have My Recipe,I've also explained how I fish it,I've tied them in many colours/sizes & they all catch Fish.
If you give your Recipe I will try it,being not much different to mine,I mainly tie mine on #8 or #10 Grub Hooks as that's the Size of The Beetle which congreate around The Gum Trees over here.

Brian.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:33 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Bushy little bugger! Is that just a long peacock herl or a lot of short hackle? Looks nice, I wonder how it floats though. You may have to trim it flat across the bottom...guess you find out!
Old 05-09-2012, 05:48 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Bushy little bugger! Is that just a long peacock herl or a lot of short hackle? Looks nice, I wonder how it floats though. You may have to trim it flat across the bottom...guess you find out!
Dean.
I'm waiting for Terry's Recipe just to see how he Ties it.
I firstly Palmered The Hackle,now I only Tie Hackle for The Legs at The front of the Fly to save clipping,after using Peacock Herl,Chenille,Mohair,which is good I now mainly use Medium Cactus Chenille.

That's what's so good about NAFFF we all can Trade Patterns,info etc etc.
Brian
Old 05-09-2012, 08:54 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Looks great! I'm waiting to hear what's on the bottom like everyone else!!!
I'm in love with beetle fishing; the fish in the smaller streams I fish in PA just kill them from july to early sepember. My favorite recipe is black foam, with black saddle palmered along the length of the entire hook. Yours is considerably more buggy.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:06 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Looks like ostrich herl to me.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:01 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Looks like ostrich herl to me.
Good call. I was thinking maybe a hen hackle...