The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2008, 01:28 AM

liv2fish is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How many flies do you tie?

I would recommend (and need to do it more myself) to tie at least 4-5 of a specific pattern in each sitting. It is even more important for beginners. You will improve much faster by tying the same pattern a few times rather than tying one or two of a bunch of different styles. Its also real nice to see each fly get better and better as you tie one right after another. If you only tie once a week, put some time in to find out what patterns you need/want and sit down and tie x amount of one pattern/week. It is also easier if you're looking to make fly tying time more efficient. This way you only have the materials you need for one pattern out on your desk and don't need to waste time fishing through boxes/bags looking for the right materials. If its the night before a trip, obviously tie whatever patterns you think you'll need.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:44 PM

Nooksack Mac is on a distinguished road

I normally tie one or two at a time, even though I know well that "practice makes perfect" versions of a single pattern. That's why my flies seldom have that sleek, professional look.

My fly fishing club has monthly drawings for fly fishing items, usually including flies contributed members. Always there's a generous selection from one of our members. He always contributes a filled fly box for our club outings. It's rumored that he has a rolling hospital-type table setup by his bed, on which he ties some flies before getting up in the morning. Since he retired a few years ago, his production, and contributions, have increased. Some of us in the club are considering an intervention.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:16 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

Well so far out of the few patterns that I mostly use, I stick with what works and make as many variations from that. In the past few months I've made over 100 flies but only used a few patterns every time. I got 7 patterns that I tie, but 3 are tied the most. Since maraboue has been good to me in the past that is what I tie the most with. My fly box kinda looks like a chicken convention
Old 12-10-2008, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoodwater2002 View Post
How many flies do you tie at once of the same pattern? How many do you carry in your fly box of the same fly? Just wondering what experienced fly fishing people do.
Usually 4 of the same at a time and carry about a dozen of the working class flies of each pattern I intend to fish. This changes when fishing for Kings because breaking fish off is more common. In the King season I carry about forty of what works.

Down East I used to carry about 18 - 24 #20 blue quills at a time because the fish tore them up at the rate of about three or four per outing. You never want to be "Knocking them dead" with the only fly like that in your box!

Ard
Old 12-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

I think liv2fish is right on target. A beginner should pick an easy fly and then concentrate on that fly. Tying one fly and jumping to another and another is not a good way to learn. It is also over all faster to stick with one fly until you have tied all that you need in that size and type.

I think a good tyer will gather all materials and hooks for what is needed and has everything right at their fingertips. Including the recipe and any books you need. Whip out your dozen flies and then set up for the next fly. This is not as much fun as winging it but it sure is more productive.

Frank
Old 12-10-2008, 12:07 PM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough

When I sit down at the tying table I tie at least 10 or 12 of the same pattern. I have a list of flies that I need to tie and if my supply is running low in my box I add it to the list. It normally takes a few each time I tie to get into the swing of things

John
Old 12-10-2008, 12:22 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

When I tie trout flies I usually do 5 at a time

The first one is no prize even though it probably looks okay to a fish...
The second one is slightly better...
With the third attempt I'm almost there...
The forth one is as perfect as I can get
By the time I get to the fifth, I'm getting bored.... this one may end up with a orange wing or maybe chartruce hackle ...
time to move on
Old 12-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a couple hours drive from the nearest trout water, except for some local stockers, so usually the trips are over a weekend, as opposed to having a local "home water". So for trout, I try and tie up for each hatch, starting with the early season stuff and continuing on through the year for the mays, caddis and stones for times of year i plan to fish.

I try and tie up a dozen or so nymphs, emergers, sparkleduns, hackled duns and spinners for each major mayfly as an example. It sounds more complicated than it is-- it's usually tying the same sort of styles in different colors and sizes. Dubbed body nymph, the same nymph with snowshoe hare foot or cdc wing as an emerger, sparkle and/or compara dun, a thorax or catskill style dry with hackle, and a spinner with tails, dubbed body and hackle tied in the round instead of a wing (to be able skitter it around, or trim top and bottom on stream to sit flush in the film.)

After a while a lot of stuff starts to overlap, so a lot of things can be used for more than one hatch, and there's usually left overs from the years before.

I try to round things out with a few heavily hackled dark light and medium rough water stuff, a few soft hackles as general attractors to swing, and some streamers and muddlers.

For local SW it's a lot easier, I just tie as I need them, and most are pretty simple. I often do them in stages tying up a bunch of hooks with deceiver tails one night, cementing it in place on the shank, and finishing off the collar, wing and topping the next. (I do stonefly nymphs the same way biot tails, weight shank, cement, then come back and dub rib and finish the next.)

Tying several in one sitting is always a good idea-- you can get all the materials ready for a dozen or so, and crank them out-- the last ones are usually better than the first ones if you're not hitting the scotch and you get into a rhythm. You can give the first few to friends that owe you money or your mother-in-law...

peregrines
Old 12-11-2008, 12:48 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

posted long time ago on this and I still only tie a few of each but now I don't just tie any old fly now that I smartened up. I only tie what people suggest for around my parts (great lakes) or something I observe on the stream myself. at 1st I went out and bought lots of materials for all these awesome looking patterns to find that those bugs don't live here so there for they didn't work all that good except on gills cause they eat just about anything. guess it could of been my sucky noob tying skillz also that made um not bite? lol. so anyways I have heard guys say tie 100 of this pattern up and so forth.. well what I do now is I tie like 4 or less of a pattern of whatever I am trying to imitate from around the great lakes. guess I am lazy. sorry guys.. lol. but on the other hand now if I catch something with it and I know it works for sure then I will tie up 4 more! lol jk. actually I will make every color of the fly that I think will work and then look for the next fly to tie up! I don't lose all that many flys either on my river so 4 of a fly to test it even 2 or so works out great for me

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoodwater2002 View Post
How many flies do you tie at once of the same pattern? How many do you carry in your fly box of the same fly? Just wondering what experienced fly fishing people do.

I must resubmitt my response, sometimes I miss a detail when making a response.

When I am putting together a new Streamer pattern I often make only two of them prior to testing them. If they prove to be good producers I then will make up at least 4 - 6 of them.

Right now I'm working to come up with the proper combo to imitate the many tiny Salmon that are present in the spring on my favorite river. I have been using a Nine Three for years but am tying some grey and some brown with a barred rock under-wing and sparse buck tail beard hoping to rid myself of the lookers that turn away.

Trout (Rainbow & Steelhead) are scarce in my area but when found are often quite big and seldom available on the dry fly. Therefore finding the right featherwing streamer to promote the taking of the fly is very important. I have gotten good at manipulating the line and weights as to make the presenting of streamers effective for my local waters. Some believe that presentation is the key to my success rather than my efforts with color and size at the vise. I think both.