The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2007, 04:40 PM

ZGreenlee is on a distinguished road
Default Parachute Adams help

I've never had any formal teaching on tying flies, I just learned some here and there from friends and relatives, but it seems that no matter how many times I'me shown, my hackle comes out loose. Anyone have some advice for me?

Thanks!

Zach
Old 11-24-2007, 06:04 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Parachute Adams help

the best thing you can do is get some lessons, Check out your local shop or T.U. chapters..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 11-25-2007, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Zgreenlee,

Here are a some things you can try. If you tye a lot of Parachute flies you might want to invest into a Parachute tool. They run about $10. It keeps tension on the post while you make your wraps. One problem you might be having is your post material is not stiff enough. Also after you have finish the hackle wraps and you have tied off the thread, add a drop of super glue on the thread wraps.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:39 PM

THAT'S GREAT!! thanks a ton!
Old 11-27-2007, 12:49 PM

burns is on a distinguished road

I landed 6 trout (all around a foot long) in just over an hour the day before Thanksgiving, all on a parachute adams. 4 rainbows and two browns. It was my best fishing hour ever. I was also using flourocarbon (5X) for the first time, and caught them all on a 6'6", 2-weight.

It was around a size 16 para Adams, I think. I too want to learn to tie this fly.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:26 PM

philthy is on a distinguished road

I've finally gotten the hang of para flies and they're a lot of fun. Haven't done any size 16s - mainly 22s/24s/26s. Maybe I'm a little warped in the head? I still need to get the parachute tool Frank mentioned above, though. Lately, I've been using the yarn you tie egg patterns with (glo bug or whatever's handy) for my post material. A tip that works for me is to leave the post material a couple inches long and pull up on it while wrapping the hackle, then trim to correct length. The hardest part for me is tying off the hackle and pulling the hackle up/back to do that. If you can beg/borrow/steal a copy of the Fly Tier's Benchside Reference, there's a ton of info in it! Only downside is the cost of that book - about 100 bucks!

Phil
Old 11-28-2007, 01:38 PM

a 26 is a tad ambitious for me, however inspiring it may be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burns View Post
I landed 6 trout (all around a foot long) in just over an hour the day before Thanksgiving, all on a parachute adams. 4 rainbows and two browns. It was my best fishing hour ever. I was also using flourocarbon (5X) for the first time, and caught them all on a 6'6", 2-weight.

It was around a size 16 para Adams, I think. I too want to learn to tie this fly.
That's friggin' awesome! Congrats!

it has always been the most productive fly I use too, probably has more to do with the fact that really easily visible. unless, of course, the cottonwoods are dropping those pesky little pieces of cotton into the water. Those thinks are almost exactly the same size as the adams.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Lately, I've been using the yarn you tie egg patterns with (glo bug or whatever's handy) for my post material.
I'd use something else man, those yarns are great at soaking up water. Once you get the post wet, you'll likely have a hard time keeping the fly afloat.

Poly Pro yarn or thin strips of foam would be a good option.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

Here is a link to a site that show one method of tying a parachute fly. Scan far down the page for instructions. I like the way he bends the hook so most of the body is below the water. It might take some experimenting to get it just right. The way he ties the parachute could be used on any parachute fly.

Frank