The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 10:54 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default 6mm plastic beads

A friend was tying up some bonefish flies & he was using all plastic bead eyes. They came in a bead chain & were connected by a plastic section of the same material, they were not on a string. This allowed him to just cut off two for eyes & not have to seal them on the string. He said he got them in a craft store ( JoAnne's ) but I've been there & they don't even know what I'm talking about needless to say they don't have them. The closest I can come to finding anything like them is on those plastic tamper resistant seals , but they are too small. I've tried every craft / sewing store in the area & I can't find them. Any ideas or sources ?????
Old 05-23-2012, 11:52 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6mm plastic beads

Neil: This might work, but they don't show the size.
JS Fly Fishing: Rod Building, Fly Tying: Hareline Plastic Beady Eyes

Larry
Old 05-23-2012, 12:32 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

The beads that Larry posted are one type, but the center section between the beads is a type of cord. The bead chain you're probably looking for is what is used on vertical blinds. A similar type is used as lanyards for security badges that go around the neck. The primary problem you'll have is not finding them, but finding different sizes. Most bead or ball chain is made of metal, and there are different sizes made. Another issue will be minimum purchases as many sources only deal in bulk.

Try here:Plastic Bead Chain

OR, here for metal bead chain of various colors: Beaded Neck Chains-Plastic Bead Chains-Metal Neck Chains-CONNECTICUT LAMINATING COMPANY

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-23-2012, 06:11 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the reply's I checked those sites & they seem to be strung beads. I googled plastic beads & came up with none or must order 5000 from China.