The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 01:09 PM

matt o is on a distinguished road
Default Redfish Fly Patterns?

I am a beginner, been tying a bunch of clousers to start with and recently tied some bendbacks and some simple redfish flies. Any suggestions for a good redfish fly (murkey water)?

These are the simple patterns I tied these this week

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:53 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Redfish Fly Patterns?

What you have there should work well. "Murky" means different things to different people. If you mean stained, like the brown tannic stain of many backwaters, then those flies will be fine. If you mean muddy stained, then you want flies that push water and are of a profile & color that is easily seen up close.

I would use the basic concept of what you have. Vary the eye weights a bit for different depths & fall rates. Tie some in other colors such as olive, black, hot pink combinations. Tie some with a body of rabbit & what you're using, and perhaps some with a dense "head", perhaps wool or spun deerhair. This will give you some flies that push a lot of water.

Color is usually not as important as presentation in water that has lower visibility, you usually only need to get the fly where the fish can find it. Generally you only need light & dark as far as color. But, color can aid in that regard. Try combinations such a black body, hot pink or chartreuse tail, or the "Electric Chicken" combination of Hot pink & Chartreuse. All black might be useful too.

I use similar flies & colors for LM bass in tidal creeks, which can have off color, tannic stained or muddy water sometimes. The consensus used to be bright colors for such water conditions & this works, but dark colors, particularly black works well too, as it provides a highly visible contrasting profile. The fish don't see it until they're close, but once they are, they see it very well. Black also works well in clearer water too sometimes!

Here's what I mean by using a "head" of deerhair or wool. Not the best picture, but should give you the general idea.

You can also add a wing to the flies you have such as this which helps push a bit of water & broaden the profile:

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

Last edited by bigjim5589; 06-29-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:13 PM

riverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really nice

Even though I'm just two hours away from some good redfishing I haven't done the salt with the flyrod yet. Hoping to remedy that soon though.

On the Texas coast there's a fly I've seen talked about a lot called "Redfish Crack". I'm not sure if I'm supposed to add an external link here on the board so use you favorite search engine and it should pop up. I've seen a spoon fly with the same name but that's not it. Looks like this, but I've seen lots of different variations.
Matter of fact, my state kayak fishing fourm just finished a swap of them.

Seen photos of lots of big reds with this fly in it's mouth.
I have a link to a SBS I can send you.

Another productive pattern I've seen is a crab fly.
Hope that helps.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:50 PM

matt o is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the ideas. I will try to tie the redfish crack fly and make some variations to the flies I tied to move more water.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

You're typically going to find redfish doing one of two things- cruising or tailing/grubbing. I typically start out with a fly best suited to cruising fish, and have plenty of tailing fish flies on hand if I find them that way.

A "cruising redfish fly" should be very bright and flashy so as to draw their attention as they're moving along. Weight helps as it will get it down to where their mouth is, and should help it cast in the wind, but you don't need alot of weight. I'm generally throwing bendbacks or seaducer type flies at cruisers-

For tailing fish, you want something that's got enough weight to get down quick, and some rubber legs to wiggle about when they're up close looking at it-

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:15 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

When I lived on the Gulf coast the good colors where red/hot orange, yellow, chartreuse, black and white in bait fish type patterns. Silver spoons where also good at times, but that is not a fly.
Good luck and have fun.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:43 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Man im diggin some of those flies. Im going to have to start tying some for next June, gonna be in Bama and I hope to stick some fish.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 05-24-2012, 09:46 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

First and foremost, that "redfish crack" fly is about to be tied. That thing looks great. Nice ideas all and thanks Matt for the thread idea, I just so happen to be home in Florida fishing for reds so this is helpful

I know everyone says this, but don't forget the oldy but goody clouser! I caught this last night on a heavier yellow clouser with some big dumbbell eyes and an erratic retrieve:
The yellow clouser has been my biggest producer of saltwater species on this trip.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 05-24-2012, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
I know everyone says this, but don't forget the oldy but goody clouser! I caught this last night on a heavier yellow clouser with some big dumbbell eyes and an erratic retrieve...
Its a solid producer for sure.

I like to add a head like a Borski slider so it pushes a bit more water-

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:09 AM

lthrnk03 is a jewel in the roughlthrnk03 is a jewel in the roughlthrnk03 is a jewel in the rough

AJ-

thats an awesome looking red! I'm about 2 hrs from the NC coast and desperately want to try my hand at fly fishing for reds!