The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 04:23 PM

friar tyer is on a distinguished road
Default Ants

I've been using ants a lot lately and I'm surprised at how effective they are. I'm curious to see what ants other people are using. What's your favorite ant pattern? Have any pics you want to share?

Here are a couple pics of the ant pattern I've been tying/fishing.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:10 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Ants

I'm a big fan of the McMurray Ant, Floats forever. If only they were not such a pain in the A to make.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:23 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Nice Pattern,I have one similar with an Orange Post which is good for a "Sight Indicator",Ants are always in or around Water,it's surprising how many simple Patterns there are which are easy to Tie,once more they all catch Fish.
Brian.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:18 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Have you tried these??

gorrilla glue ants
Old 05-23-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer09 View Post
I'm a big fan of the McMurray Ant, Floats forever. If only they were not such a pain in the A to make.
Interesting pattern. Definitely looks like a pain to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liphookedau View Post
Nice Pattern,I have one similar with an Orange Post which is good for a "Sight Indicator",Ants are always in or around Water,it's surprising how many simple Patterns there are which are easy to Tie,once more they all catch Fish.
Brian.
Thanks. I really like simple patterns. I don't mind losing them so much since I can replace them easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
Have you tried these??

gorrilla glue ants
Haven't tried them yet. Looks like the Gorilla Glue has allot of potential though. I'll have to pick up a bottle and see what I can do with it.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:11 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I like all kinds of ants. We have a reddish brown ant around here that the fish like a lot.
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Gary
Old 05-24-2012, 09:11 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
Have you tried these??

gorrilla glue ants
An excellent method to make Ants,Beetle etc,I've never seen Gorilla Glue before.
Brian.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:33 AM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

I think Feathercraft used to sell pre-made McMurray ant and bee bodies. May have been someone else, but I'm not sure.

They are sort of a pain to make, but if you do them production style, they're not too bad, then tie a couple dozen and you're done for quite awhile.

Get a length of the proper sized balsa, use a triangle file to make "vee" notches between the body segments, paint them all with black nail polish, use a pin drill and drill one end, cut one segment off th e'stick' with an x-acto knife, drill the next end and repeat the process until you have all your segments drilled and cut.

Cut a short length of mono, mount it in your vise, pick up body segment in a pair of bead pliers (so you don't crush it) apply a drop of Krazy glue to one end of the mono, mount the body segment, repeat for second segment.

If you plan to do bees, you can dip one end of the completed body halfway in yellow paint.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
I like all kinds of ants. We have a reddish brown ant around here that the fish like a lot.
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Gary
Nice selection of flies. Seeing those gives me a few ideas.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:55 PM

Here are a few ants I tied today. I got the idea how to shape the foam bodies from the foam flies in gt05254's pic.