The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2007, 03:56 PM

Midgeaholic is on a distinguished road
Default Tying, How I got Started

I lived in the Andrew Jackson projects in the bronx N.Y.C.. At twelve years old and reading Field and Stream, Outdoor Life and Sports Afield, My fly fishing fever was in full swing. The nearest I was going to get to using a fly was to make one myself. We were going to Sebago Lake a little north of the big apple, so I plucked several feathers out of my pillow raided my mom's sewing box(Shhhhhh) and fashioned what I thought a fish would eat at this lake. I tossed this creation out on the lake with a split shot on a spinning rig with 4LBS mono. I caught 16 very large bluegill and several small bass. I have been a tyer and flyfisherman ever since Midgeaholic
Old 12-05-2007, 06:25 PM

mhd01 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tying, How I got Started

It is funny how we can remember those days of being young and fishing but cant remember birthdays and anniversaries.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tying, How I got Started

I got started when I was 10 or so with a shoe box full of odds and ends that I collected over time, and an old Thompson vise.

First flies I ever tied were horrible, but still worked, gotta love Wooly Worms.