The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2010, 09:57 AM

Zman3382 is on a distinguished road
Default Zap-A-Gap for gluing popper bodies

Hi everyone. I'm assembling a bunch of poppers from wapsi's perfect popper kits, and am having some problems getting a glue to work to set the hooks in the hard foam and fill the related gap. I am currently trying mercury adhesives M1000F, which is viscous, foam safe, and happens to be what the local hobby store sells instead of zap-a-gap products. The stuff isnt cutting it. Its taking 3 days + to even come close to drying, and its not filling the gaps when dry(ish).. it seems to laregely just evaporate. My question is, which zap product would be suitable for this job? Zap makes a "foam" version, but its about 3x as expensive as standard "thick" zap-a-gap. On the other hand, I do not know if regular "thick" zap-a-gap works on foam without melting it.. Any input or shared experiences would be appreciated. Thanks! - Z
Old 07-17-2010, 11:48 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Zap-A-Gap for gluing popper bodies

I use regular Krazy Glue for the adhesive and try to squeeze the gap together.
Any space left after that I fill with hot glue.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

First off, are you laying down a thread base on the hook shank and then gluing the poppers to that? I find that helps increase the surface area for gluing, and especially helps when using thin wire hooks.

Second, it may work best to add a think coat of glue to the shank/thread, slide the body on, then add some more superglue to the gap. This will make sure the entire hook shank is glued to the body of the popper, rather than just the bottom part of it.

I use most any superglue for poppers, and haven't had issues. The current tube is a 10g tube of Loctite super glue gel. That container will last a long time if you're using it frequently.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:15 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I made a bunch of poppers last year using both Spirt River bodies and some I'd made from stacked/glued craft foam. I glued them to the hooks with brush on Krazy glue and I haven't had any come apart.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:31 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I use super glue in the gel form, and it works for me.