The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Fly Tying Discussions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/)
-   -   first fly tied (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/282836-first-fly-tied.html)

Mnflyfish 05-29-2012 08:43 PM

first fly tied

well after looking at the vise just laying there for a few weeks, i decided to just dive in and see what happens. i have never tied before, so this was my maiden voyage so to speak

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...5-29201939.jpg

imitation wooduck(?) tail with a peacock herl body on a size 10, i think anyway. The hooks are all asst in a bag. The thread was a 3.0 and very delicate, broke a couple times. tried doin a hackle collar with no success, but i think the materials in this vintage kit are probably low quality, and probably 30 yrs old.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...5-29203418.jpg and

But i enjoyed it and can see i need better light, and maybe a magnifier and a quiet corner of the house to tie in. The whip finisher was tricky, i need to practice with that.
But for the most part i really enjoyed it. Cant wait to actually catch a fish with one that i tie.

cattech89 05-29-2012 08:48 PM

Re: first fly tied

Congrats! I'm sure that the obsession has only just begun. I have yet to take that step but hopefully before too long I'll join the ranks...

williamhj 05-29-2012 11:03 PM

Congrats! It's a great way to start!

I do wonder if you need to get some newer materials and thread. If the thread was 3/0 you'd have to be putting some good pressure on it to snap it a bunch, on a size 10 hook I'd use 6/0 or 8/0. 3/0 shouldn't snap too easily so I wonder if it's gotten weak over the 30 years or if something in your bobbin tube is cutting it. If you can, pick up a bobbin with a ceramic tube - the ones I get are only like $14 or so and buy a couple new spools of tying thread.

Just pick a couple patterns you want to tie, make a materials list, and go to a fly shop and get what you need. I'm sure you've read wooly buggers are a great place to start. Oh, and ask a lot of questions and post a lot of pictures!

mbphotos54 05-29-2012 11:16 PM

itll catch a fish no dought.

Flyfisher for men 05-30-2012 04:55 AM

Quote:

Cant wait to actually catch a fish with one that i tie.
That one will do it!

You'll know the disease is progressing nicely when:

1.) The dogs and cats in your home and neighborhood start looking bedraggled and get nervous anytime you approach.

2.) Your daughter's playmates remark, "I didn't know they made Barbie dolls bald."

3.) You think the kids craft section at Wal-mart is just as exciting as the sporting goods department.

4.) You become appreciative of all the subtle nuances of different types of dryer lint.

cattech89 05-30-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyfisher for men (Post 457068)
That one will do it!

You'll know the disease is progressing nicely when:

1.) The dogs and cats in your home and neighborhood start looking bedraggled and get nervous anytime you approach.

2.) Your daughter's playmates remark, "I didn't know they made Barbie dolls bald."

3.) You think the kids craft section at Wal-mart is just as exciting as the sporting goods department.

4.) You become appreciative of all the subtle nuances of different types of dryer lint.

HA!!!I love it!!!! :lol2:

stimmy7 05-30-2012 04:14 PM

Dryer lint?? What about the fuzz that shears off the carpet in the car?!?!?!

Agree the thread and bobbin need to be replaced... and it sounds as if your hackle may be brittle as well (over time, if kept in a hot area, the materials will age and get to a "beyond use" point)

Have fun!

Flyfisher for men 06-06-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stimmy7 (Post 457323)
Dryer lint?? What about the fuzz that shears off the carpet in the car?!?!?!

Oh, most definitely. On a similar note, I'm a Benedictine monk and priest (seriously, hence my title). I realized I was truly addicted when I noticed during an utterly dull budget meeting at the monastery that if you rubbed your shoe across the carpet, you ended up with a dandy synthetic fuzz.

While everyone else is trying to focus on line items, expenditures, revenues, etc., I'm sitting at my chair secretly building up a serious static charge and collecting fantastic dubbing.

webrx 06-06-2012 05:34 PM

dryer lint, dog and cat hair, the sweater lint, all kinds of options.

d

popperfly 06-07-2012 09:27 AM

Looks good for your first attempt :thumbsup: