The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Flyfisher for men
  • 1 Post By cattech89

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 08:43 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice
Default first fly tied

well after looking at the vise just laying there for a few weeks, i decided to just dive in and see what happens. i have never tied before, so this was my maiden voyage so to speak

Click the image to open in full size.

imitation wooduck(?) tail with a peacock herl body on a size 10, i think anyway. The hooks are all asst in a bag. The thread was a 3.0 and very delicate, broke a couple times. tried doin a hackle collar with no success, but i think the materials in this vintage kit are probably low quality, and probably 30 yrs old.

Click the image to open in full size. and

But i enjoyed it and can see i need better light, and maybe a magnifier and a quiet corner of the house to tie in. The whip finisher was tricky, i need to practice with that.
But for the most part i really enjoyed it. Cant wait to actually catch a fish with one that i tie.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:48 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all
Default Re: first fly tied

Congrats! I'm sure that the obsession has only just begun. I have yet to take that step but hopefully before too long I'll join the ranks...

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 05-29-2012, 11:03 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats! It's a great way to start!

I do wonder if you need to get some newer materials and thread. If the thread was 3/0 you'd have to be putting some good pressure on it to snap it a bunch, on a size 10 hook I'd use 6/0 or 8/0. 3/0 shouldn't snap too easily so I wonder if it's gotten weak over the 30 years or if something in your bobbin tube is cutting it. If you can, pick up a bobbin with a ceramic tube - the ones I get are only like $14 or so and buy a couple new spools of tying thread.

Just pick a couple patterns you want to tie, make a materials list, and go to a fly shop and get what you need. I'm sure you've read wooly buggers are a great place to start. Oh, and ask a lot of questions and post a lot of pictures!
Old 05-29-2012, 11:16 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

itll catch a fish no dought.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:55 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Cant wait to actually catch a fish with one that i tie.
That one will do it!

You'll know the disease is progressing nicely when:

1.) The dogs and cats in your home and neighborhood start looking bedraggled and get nervous anytime you approach.

2.) Your daughter's playmates remark, "I didn't know they made Barbie dolls bald."

3.) You think the kids craft section at Wal-mart is just as exciting as the sporting goods department.

4.) You become appreciative of all the subtle nuances of different types of dryer lint.
jpbfly and stimulator2 like this.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:19 AM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher for men View Post
That one will do it!

You'll know the disease is progressing nicely when:

1.) The dogs and cats in your home and neighborhood start looking bedraggled and get nervous anytime you approach.

2.) Your daughter's playmates remark, "I didn't know they made Barbie dolls bald."

3.) You think the kids craft section at Wal-mart is just as exciting as the sporting goods department.

4.) You become appreciative of all the subtle nuances of different types of dryer lint.
HA!!!I love it!!!!
jpbfly likes this.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 05-30-2012, 04:14 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

Dryer lint?? What about the fuzz that shears off the carpet in the car?!?!?!

Agree the thread and bobbin need to be replaced... and it sounds as if your hackle may be brittle as well (over time, if kept in a hot area, the materials will age and get to a "beyond use" point)

Have fun!
Old 06-06-2012, 09:57 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimmy7 View Post
Dryer lint?? What about the fuzz that shears off the carpet in the car?!?!?!
Oh, most definitely. On a similar note, I'm a Benedictine monk and priest (seriously, hence my title). I realized I was truly addicted when I noticed during an utterly dull budget meeting at the monastery that if you rubbed your shoe across the carpet, you ended up with a dandy synthetic fuzz.

While everyone else is trying to focus on line items, expenditures, revenues, etc., I'm sitting at my chair secretly building up a serious static charge and collecting fantastic dubbing.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:34 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

dryer lint, dog and cat hair, the sweater lint, all kinds of options.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:27 AM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Looks good for your first attempt

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !