The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 08:31 AM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light
Default Midge, good pattern to start with?

A couple of years ago, my brother in law gave me all his fly tying stuff. Since then, it has been sitting in my closet, untouched. I have been thinking I would like to try to tie up a few patterns. I have been fishing a creek lately, where smaller is better. The closest fly shop is 45 minutes away, so if I am running low on flies, I would like to be able to tie up a couple and hit the road for the creek. Would midge patterns be a good fly to start tying with? If so, I wouldn't mind some links on how to tie them up. I have various equipment, such as small 18-22 sz hooks, a bunch of thread, some silver and copper colored wire. some small gold beads, and whatever I don't have I will just order. Also, I have been using a lot of brassies lately, and these seem like they should be easy to tie. Suggestions please
Old 05-30-2012, 10:11 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Midge, good pattern to start with?

Start tying Zebra Midges.

Click the image to open in full size.

It's so easy to tie, that a caveman could do it.

Dennis

Edit: Here's the recipe.

If I want to make the fly heavier, I add just enough wraps of lead wire to fit under the brass bead rather than using an expensive tungsten bead. It also helps secure the bead.

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 05-30-2012 at 11:27 AM. Reason: added link to recipe
Old 05-30-2012, 11:17 AM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

Good Call, Not only are they easy to tie, they catch fish.... Most of my big browns have actually been taking on very small zebra (or variation of ) midges.

I typically use a zebra as a dropper 18-24" below my dry fly. Even when fish are keying into a specific hatch, I find I often hook up on the midge dropper.

best of luck.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 05-30-2012, 11:35 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I concur! You can't go wrong with starting with a zebra midge.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:50 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

This pattern ABSOLUTELY slayed for me over the past nine days...

Click the image to open in full size.

Cream Miracle Midge...

NO BROWNS in the EWR....

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/