The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2007, 12:38 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default the halo egg

I seen this egg today . Halo Egg -Egg Flies - Fly Tying Pattern Library – Quest Outdoors, Ltd.
I had a lil better idea wanted to one up the halo egg and instead of using the craft bead it says. buy these steelhead/salmon egg beads in a ruby roe color Trout/Salmon beads - 6mm, 8mm, or 10mm. then cover them in orange, chartruese, pink ,cheese or whatever color glo or mcfly foam I got. my thought being then that its basically a blood dot inside the egg pattern plus add needed weight and the nice round perfect shape... what do u guys think? will that work for the steelies? seems like it would have a awesome looking effect! what was the best size egg to get. 6mm 8mm or 10mm. I read somewhere a steelhead egg is about 6mm. but wasn't sure if thats true. but I ordered the 6 mm anyways. I got size 12,10, and 6 egg hooks. if they don't fit on the shank I will just tie um on like the glue egg on the same site..

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:14 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: the halo egg

The trout/ salmon beads are meant to be pinned on your leader with the hook down below between 6 to 18"...I'm not sure they will go on a hook, besides won't they take up alot of the gape...
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 12-12-2007, 06:46 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default Re: the halo egg

oh whoops maybe I wasted 2 bux lol. oh well. so how do you use um now?what so you put them way far away from the hook? what if the fish bites the egg it won't get hooked? weird... I Just figured they might be small enough since they were under the fly tying section of that site to maybe fit the hook. wish I had me a fly shop around here! I wouldn't have to guess at stuff online. I can always tie it in on top of the hook maybe. we will see when I get um. I have all kinds of mcfly and glo yarn so i can make alot of regular eggs. maybe soem clown eggs since i got the clown package coming too. i also have some angora yarn and will make sucker spawn..

ps. just did a search and found these. looks like they fit on hooks? maybe the ones I got are different?Troutbeads.com- fishing beads, fishings, fishing beads

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.