The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Fly Tying Discussions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/)
-   -   Vices (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/289244-vices.html)

rccola712 06-21-2012 06:38 PM

Vices

Hello everyone, Just joined but I'm already loving what I've read so far.

I've been tying trout flies for about a year and just upgraded my vise to a Renzetti Clouser, the guys at my local fly shop ranted and raved about it. I've used it a bit since I've gotten it, but it's taking some getting used to the horizontal jaws. Does anyone have any recommendations for better access to the curve of the hook or it something that will just come with time? Or should I just take it back and get one with a pair of angled jaws? Thanks for the help!

fishingfly 06-21-2012 07:57 PM

Re: Vices

Welcome to the forums, I just found them too and I'll tell you now that they are addicting. Anyway, I don't have the Clouser (I have an old box vice), but have tied with guys that have and love them. Then again I'm in Florida and we are tying big flies with long tails and illustrious bottoms. Not sure the advantages with trout flies though.

mcnerney 06-21-2012 08:26 PM

Welcome to the forum! Renzetti is the top of the line for vices, seems a little strange they would recommend the clouser for a trout guy, if you were primarily a salt fisherman I could see it!

stimmy7 06-22-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rccola712 (Post 466250)
Hello everyone, Just joined but I'm already loving what I've read so far.

I've been tying trout flies for about a year and just upgraded my vise to a Renzetti Clouser, the guys at my local fly shop ranted and raved about it. I've used it a bit since I've gotten it, but it's taking some getting used to the horizontal jaws. Does anyone have any recommendations for better access to the curve of the hook or it something that will just come with time? Or should I just take it back and get one with a pair of angled jaws? Thanks for the help!

My gut reaction is if you are planning to spend the vast majority of your time tying trout flies, especially those in smaller (under size 12) sizes, you should return the vise and switch to a Traveler (if you want to stay with a Renzetti) or if rotary style tying isn't anything you're interested in, buy a Regal or other fixed position vise. My recommendation would be a Regal Travel or a Medallion Regal Fly Tying Vise - Catalog if you have that much to spend, then select a jaw set that meets your needs for hook size range.

Learning is tough enough- having the disadvantage of being unable to get your hands into a comfortable position only complicates things more. Decades ago, I started tying on a Thompson Model A dhthompson.com, mainly because THAT'S WHAT WAS available! But I later upgraded to a Regal and while I do own a Renzetti Traveler, I tie the lion's share of my flies on a Regal. (that amounts to thousands of dozens)

If you ever get to a show and see tyers who use a Regal, you will notice the paint is almost always worn off on the back of the head... and if you watch someone tie on one long enough, you'll see why- it's common to rest your "off hand" there while tying in tail material, or applying rib or other body materials... it's just a comfortable vise to tie on. And if the midge head works for you, there is PLENTY of room to get around the bend of the hook.

Just make sure you learn how to properly mount a hook in the vise or you run the risk of "launching" a hook across the room (and later finding it in your foot) or chipping the jaws... the catalog above shows you the proper way to seat a hook, and once it's in there, it AIN'T GOING NOWHERE!!

Welcome to the fold :icon_smil

jaybo41 06-22-2012 09:17 PM

Welcome to the forum. Stimmy was spot on IMHO. If you are tying for trout, I'm not sure that would be the best offering from Renzetti. I'd opt for the Traveler or others in the Presentation series. I'm curious though, why they guided you towards that one when you tie for trout. If it were me, I'd ask that question when you go back to the shop.

I will just add that any new vice that you get takes a bit of time to get used to. When I first got my Peak after upgrading from the cheapie that came in a fly tying kit it was an adjustment. I also picked up a Regal Traveler to take with me when I travel and tying on that one is an adjustment since I'm used to my Peak.

redleg155 07-30-2012 02:50 PM

I've always enjoyed the Regal. Never used an Renz. so I can't comment, but they sure are fine pieces of equipment.

lthrnk03 07-30-2012 04:12 PM

I recently upgraded to the Renzetti Traveler. I can not even begin to tell you how much I love this vise. I had actually stopped tying for a while because I had out grown my first vice and found tying with the old one to be more of a hassle than anything else. I'm not quite sure why your local guy recommended getting the Clouser version instead of the Traveler. The Renzetti site sells just the Traveler arm...but you'd be spending almost as much as the entire vise. Given the option to take it back and get the Traveler...I wouldn't hesitate if you primarily fish for trout.