The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 10:20 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold
Default Foam ideas?

I am very new to tying. I started maybe 2 months agp. I haven't branched out much from foam, except for cranking out some clousers. I have tied stealth bombers, hoppers, and one bugs. I have so much foam that I am trying to come up with some way to utilize it without tying the same few patterns over and over. I realize I could "google it," and I have, but thought you guys might know some.

Here is what I have been tying:
Sam's One Bug (invented by a friend's dad) - great for bass and panfish
Click the image to open in full size.

Redeye bass like it...

Shellcracker like it...

I have hooked some 4lb smallmouth on this pattern, but never had the pleasure of bringing them to hand.

Now I have started tying hoppers....

Haven't fished them yet.

On the docket is: neversink caddis, damselflies, todd's wiggle minnow, gurglers and beetles

Have I overlooked anything, or anything you guys can recommend? I mainly fish for trout and smallmouth bass.

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 06-28-2012, 10:33 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Foam ideas?

Looks like your doing OK. There is a blog with a few foam hopper tutorials. Fly Tying Tutorials Hopper Fishing Blog
Old 06-28-2012, 11:08 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

That hopper is awesome looking! Try some foam ants or foam beetles . Theres a great foam frog pattern Joni posted around here somewhere. Try some foam bass patterns. Look back at some of the old posts on the fly forum there is a bunch. Should keep you busy!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 06-29-2012, 12:11 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Mini Hopper

Tweaked Henry's Fork Hopper
Old 06-29-2012, 12:17 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Your hopper is outstandinghave a look here:JP's flies step by step...for beginners. The Batistou Special is far easier to tie and less beautiful than your patternsbut you should tie some and let me know if it works for you
Old 06-29-2012, 06:51 AM

fishingfly will become famous soon enough

That foam bug looks similar to a gurgler and the hopper is incredible. Don't limit yourself to foam, looks like you are ready for anything. That being said, I tied a nice slider from foam sheets, put it on the forums here: Medusa Slider

Make sure to like our facebook page for a chance to win free flies!
Old 06-29-2012, 10:18 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Not anything new, but I like the Chernobyl & Triple Decker style foam flies. The TD is a bit more involved, but from the look of your hopper you can handle it I'm sure!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 06-29-2012, 10:56 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

That hopper is just beautiful! Nice work on that one. As others have said, ants. Foam Crickets as well. Tie them smaller than your hopper and with rubber legs to keep it simple.

I like Davie McPhail's ant pattern. All of his videos are highly recommended. I've learned so much and been able to develop ideas just by watching him.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:34 AM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the kind words guys. I am really kind of enjoying foam right now, I guess that's why I haven't tried to step outside of it yet. Kind of like I still like my training wheels!

Hoppers are fun to tie and fish, and it's hopper season right now, so I am going to be tying A LOT more of them. I am waiting on some new legs I ordered to get here. I got some of the barred tan legs. I think that might add a nicer look to the hoppers that I have tied. I am trying to come up with a better wing thatn just deer body hair. I am thinking polypropylene yarn?

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 06-29-2012, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Most people think of Crease Flies as being giant things you throw at roosters and such, but I have good luck on them in size 6 on a 3XL hook.

Or even on a size 8 dry fly hook-

You can also make a foam diver that works like a little Dahlberg but ties up much quicker and won't get water logged-

There's bendback poppers-

Floating tails for furled chenille worms-

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.