The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bigjim5589

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 09:21 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Hen or Rooster?

Hen or Rooster Cape for streamers on a #6 7XL, what do you guys prefer?
Old 06-29-2012, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Hen or Rooster?

Hey Bill,

I have a bunch of Indian Gamecock capes that have been making wings for years. The feathers that make up the bottoms of them are perfect and they come in every conceivable color from Golden Edged Badger = Light Spruce etc. to Furnace for the Dark Spruce. You just select a pair from the right side and a pair from the left and you get well matched wings. I don't believe I've ever used hen necks for streamers. For colors like blue dunn you have to use the big feathers from the bottoms of your regular dry fly capes because I never saw an Indian cape in blue dunn. They may occur but someone scoops them up long before I ever got to them. In a pinch just get strung hackle in white for blue dunn and dye some to lt. gray.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-29-2012, 10:12 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Either will work, if you select suitable feathers, and match them to fit the size & style of streamer.

I've primarily used rooster, and as Ard has said, have used Indian necks for some streamers. I use both strung saddles & strung neck hackle most often since I don't tie a lot of small sizes.

Really depends on the particular feathers. I've tied Matuka style streamers with hen since the more rounded feather tips are desirable for that style. But, some hen necks I've had the stems were too flimsy to tie suitable streamer wings, as they'll foul too easily.

Nothing wrong with using either if you have them.
MoscaPescador likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 06-29-2012, 10:35 AM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Hen or Rooster Cape for streamers on a #6 7XL, what do you guys prefer?
For streamers that large and long, I've used what are referred to in catalogs and "Salt Water Capes" and I believe most of these are from roosters (based on the size). They are a little more webby and typically have marginally rounded tips.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:43 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I guess there really isn't a right or wrong answer to my question as I'll find wings I like on both.