The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By williamhj
  • 1 Post By tamster321
  • 1 Post By mcnerney

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 10:27 PM

tamster321 will become famous soon enoughtamster321 will become famous soon enough
Default Fly Tying Books.....

I seen some interest into what good fly tying books are out there.

I think this book it a really good reference book that will teach you alot and has alot of good pictures!

Click the image to open in full size.

What is your favorite book to have by your fly tying desk?
Old 07-05-2012, 10:39 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly Tying Books.....

I have that one and the one by Orvis, but the one I might look at most often is youtube. So many different patterns and techniques online plus you can watch how they are done.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:11 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

When I first began, I learned to tie from the book How To Tie Flies and by studying the fly pictures in the Orvis and LLBean catalogs but the book I use most often now is Fly Patterns of the Umpqua Feather Merchants
I learned a lot from Dick Talleur's books as well

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:21 AM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

Dave Hughes' books are good for patterns for different insects, Trout Flies and Essential Trout Flies. I use some quill patterns from AK Best's books, and Kaufmann's books have some classic nymphs.

I used Steelhead Flies by John Shewey when I started tying them.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:52 AM

tamster321 will become famous soon enoughtamster321 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
I have that one and the one by Orvis, but the one I might look at most often is youtube. So many different patterns and techniques online plus you can watch how they are done.
Like you I also have learned how to tie flies on youtube. That is a great source to learn from! These are the two people that I have learned the most from when I started tying....

First one is FlyFishingVideo and second is David McPhail....!

FlyFishingVideo goes to alot of fly tying shows and videos people from all over with all different kinds of techniques! Great Guy!

FlyFishVideo - YouTube

David McPhail is from United Kingdom and he makes all of his videos and is very knowlegable!! I love his videos....they are very easy to follow!!

Fly Tying with Davie McPhail - YouTube
kelkay likes this.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:44 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamster321 View Post
Like you I also have learned how to tie flies on youtube. That is a great source to learn from! These are the two people that I have learned the most from when I started tying....

First one is FlyFishingVideo and second is David McPhail....!

FlyFishingVideo goes to alot of fly tying shows and videos people from all over with all different kinds of techniques! Great Guy!

FlyFishVideo - YouTube

David McPhail is from United Kingdom and he makes all of his videos and is very knowlegable!! I love his videos....they are very easy to follow!!

Fly Tying with Davie McPhail - YouTube
I really like the stuff that Davie McPhail puts out on YouTube!

Another book on fly tying that I really like is Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying.
Amazon.com: Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying: Modern Techniques for Flies That Catch Fish (9780979346026): Charlie Craven: Books Amazon.com: Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying: Modern Techniques for Flies That Catch Fish (9780979346026): Charlie Craven: Books
cptxkirk likes this.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:03 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a book (cant remember the name) that has since been passed on to a TU chapter and I used various magazines to study the patterns. Dave Hughes writes great books and Charlie Craven has some incredible patterns and tutorials. I haven't seen his book though I have heard nothing but great things about it.

Back when I began, you would be lucky to find as many SBS's as there are today. Mostly what I was able to find was a picture and recipe. I'm kind of glad I learned to decipher the recipe and apply that to the pattern. There are still some instances where this comes into play today.

Where I learned the most and where I spend most of my time learning these days is youtube. Davie McPhail, Hans Weilenmann put out some incredible stuff. There are so many other good ones. Just search the pattern you are attempting to tie and watch several versions.

One thing I learned long ago, but has been reinforced through videos is that there are several different ways to perform techniques that can be used in various other patterns. Just find the technique that fits you best and roll with it.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:47 AM

cptxkirk will become famous soon enoughcptxkirk will become famous soon enough

I have to agree with Charlie Craven's book. Not only does it teach you the basic patterns that everyone should have in their box, it will also teach you the techniques you use for the flies he covers, that you can later transfer into every other pattern you tie. I tie all my flies Craven style.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:31 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

I have "Essential Trout Flies" by Dave Hughes. It gets looked at on occasion but youtube is where I go. Its free, has almost any pattern you like, and there are enough videos that you get a variety of ways to tie one fly, each way making the fly unique in its own little way.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:47 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I have quite a few books now. I still prefer to learn to tie flies by video. I also learned mostly from You Tube, Fly Fish Ohio etc... plus I learned by gleaning threads, and asking a lot of questions.