The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pa dave

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 07:32 PM

babalu is on a distinguished road
Default Does anyone use the "Zephr EZ Rotary Vise"

I'm looking to get into tying flies and found this vise was listed as one of the best under $50 vises. is this something worth buying to get started tying, or should i wait till i can afford to spend more for something better? If you have used it, and could list a couple pros and cons that would help me a lot. Thanks
Old 07-09-2012, 09:27 AM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Does anyone use the "Zephr EZ Rotary Vise"

here are some reviews I found on the vise:

Zephr EZ Rotary Fly Tying Vise Review

others all suggest the same as most would, "stay away from the knock-off vises and buy brand name" but there is no experience tying with this one. I guess it's not a huge investment, but if it's poop, you're 1/3 to 1/4 of the way towards a real vise with a solid reputation and a warranty... so it's up to you.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:35 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

I bought one this past winter and so far I really like it. It is not a high end vise, but for the money it is very good. I had been working with the basic AA type vise for a number of years, and the EZ is a big improvement. The grip on the hook is good and my wife enjoys that I don't mutter cuss words because the hook slipped.

My biggest complaint is that it came with no instructions, and being new to that type of jaws, I was unsure about how to set them correctly. I solved that by searching online for instruction manuals and Youtube videos for the higher end vises with the same type of jaws. The concept is the same.

Bottom line, I'd say go for it if you're on a budget.
babalu likes this.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:27 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

I want to start tying but I've been super duper broke. Too broke to afford to spend more then a hundred dollars on a vise that's for sure. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:51 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Even though I haven't used or seen one for that matter it looks OK & The price appears to be quite good,as long as it holds different size hooks which it looks like it will do it's worth trying.
Also it's a Rotary which is another plus for it & it wouldn't look out of place on a Tying Bench.
Brian.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:44 PM

babalu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa dave View Post
I bought one this past winter and so far I really like it. It is not a high end vise, but for the money it is very good. I had been working with the basic AA type vise for a number of years, and the EZ is a big improvement. The grip on the hook is good and my wife enjoys that I don't mutter cuss words because the hook slipped.

My biggest complaint is that it came with no instructions, and being new to that type of jaws, I was unsure about how to set them correctly. I solved that by searching online for instruction manuals and Youtube videos for the higher end vises with the same type of jaws. The concept is the same.

Bottom line, I'd say go for it if you're on a budget.
Thank you I was hoping to hear something positive aside from price. This will most likely be the vise i start with.

---------- Post added at 10:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskiyoublues View Post
I want to start tying but I've been super duper broke. Too broke to afford to spend more then a hundred dollars on a vise that's for sure. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.
I'm in the same boat, and when flies are $3-$10 per fly and only last a couple uses. I think I'm down to 5 flies after 2 falling apart today.

Stimmy7 and Darwin we're both kind enough to share this vise review link with me. Fly Tying Vises In-Depth Review by Fly Fish Ohio!

The Ez rotary was the best in the up to
$50 range